How to check if an APAR is applied

How to check if an APAR is applied

Postby Aki88 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:40 pm

Hello,

A dumb query, but I never had the need to check this earlier than now, and now that the need has arisen- it has me stumped.

I have zapped a few load modules in the past and know how to go about AMBLIST output to verify if the zap is applied, but these were mainly for application programs or a vendor utility load module, never had I had the need to dig into an IBM utility.

I need to check if this APAR is applied at my site (mainly for extended data-set processing; we don't use IMS DB); other than checking with the local IBM site-support, if someone can point me to how this can be done, it'd be really kind.

Thank you.
Aki88

Re: How to check if an APAR is applied

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:01 pm

read the smp/e manuals, and speak to Your support

if You have the need to know and
if the ISPF SMP/E interface is not enabled for Your ISPF session get in touch with Your support
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Aki88 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:58 pm

Hello Enrico,

Yes, I need to check if this was applied; thank you for the quick reference, will visit the SMP/E manual.
Aside, site-support is really the last place in this matter as they are simply going to shun this query without looking any further (sort of a I-know-how-this-will-go-down thing).

Thank you.
Aki88

Postby steve-myers » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:30 pm

IBM APARs are rarely applied directly. An installation will receive an APAR only if they open a PMR for a problem that appears to match an existing problem or your installation has received the APAR in response to a PMR they opened.

Most of the time your SMP query for APAR aaaaaaa will show it has been "SUPed" (superceded) by PTF ppppppp, but it effectively means the fix has been applied.

As Mr. Sorichetti says, your central support can check this directly for you - it should take just a few minutes of their time - or at least they should give you the name of the SMP CSI data set so you can check it yourself either by using the ISPF SMP interface or batch SMP. The mechanics are fairly simple, though running batch SMP for the first time is not so easy.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby Aki88 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:31 am

Thank you Mr. Myers; I'm reading the guide Mr. Sorichetti recommended, to see if I can work it out.

Needed to check this one because of-late we had been observing a rise in i/o constraint abends with IBM utility programs during certain batch-window; had posted about one such abend here a while back. The site support were unable to comment on the abends, since the occurrence of these abends is nearly random even the PMR raised couldn't get them much information. Someone knowledgeable on these things pointed out this APAR to me; now was stuck on figuring out if it is in place or not, before making the recommendation.
Aki88

Return to Stupid Questions