Are there any known ports of the dot framework to z/OS?

Are there any known ports of the dot framework to z/OS?

Postby mwilliams » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:29 am

Though, I’m aware Java/JVM has been long ported over to z/OS since the mid 90’s, I was just curious if there was even a limited port for the .net framework?

The closest thing I found from Google was someone asking about Mono on z/OS. I’m aware that Mono was independent project to make a "clean room" implementation of Microsoft's CLR (the basis of .NET). That likely, such source could have been compiled on z Linux. I suppose, given that z/Os Unix is by nature EBCIDIC, it would be more of a challenge. Then again, I suppose over 20 years ago, someone probably questioned, why run Java on the mainframe?
mwilliams

Re: Are there any known ports of the dot framework to z/OS?

Postby Sam Hobbs » Tue May 08, 2018 3:09 am

Microsoft develops terms seemingly carelessly and that seem to intentionally confuse. So you need to be very careful about the exact terms.

Microsoft has clearly stated that the .Net Framework is only available for Windows. You should be able to find that.

Note that there is the Common Language Infrastructure (CLI) that is an ECMA (ECMA 335) and ISO standard and .Net is a superset of it.

But then things get complicated. There is so many other things that will get your head spinning. There is a .Net Core that is not the core of the .Net Framework and .Net Core is designed to be portable. I am not sure how .Net Core relates to Xamarin's Mono but Microsoft owns Xamarin.
Sam Hobbs

Return to Stupid Questions