Mainframe Start-up

Mainframe Start-up

Postby manivasakam » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:45 pm

Hi ,

Am Mani working in a IT Concern taking up the Application support Role(Line 2)for a Telecom client.Am willing to develop my skill set over theMainframe System as i use to interact with some system for my Role.Could any once Please guide me provide me the Information ,like different Branches and Fiels of Mainframe.So that i can view ,analyse and opt for the the Field to develop my career.Please suggest,is there any certification which can sahrpen my Knowledge.

Note:Am 0%in Mainfram Now.So expecting your Replies and Suggestions to make it 100%.

Thanks,
Mani :)
manivasakam

Re: Mainframe Start-up

Postby MrSpock » Sat May 02, 2009 1:02 am

OK, I'll take a try at responding to this topic. Mani, first, as someone who's already working in IT, I'd think that you'd have a better understanding of how to use and provide information to a technical site. You need to improve how well you can state your case and how to provide the necessary details to support it without using a chat room type of dialog.

manivasakam wrote:Am Mani working in a IT Concern taking up the Application support Role(Line 2)for a Telecom client. Am willing to develop my skill set over the Mainframe System as i use to interact with some system for my Role.

I would think that in this role you would gradually become exposed to the various facets of the Mainframe and would learn them by reading documentation, by trial-and-error, or by asking your peers or management. Many times you can learn a lot just by listening on a phone call between other technical analysts as they work together to solve a problem.

manivasakam wrote:Could any once Please guide me provide me the Information, like different Branches and Fields of Mainframe.So that i can view ,analyse and opt for the the Field to develop my career.

Most IT shops around the world are structured pretty much the same way. Your shop may be unique for your industry, but there are usually specifically-defined areas within the IT enterprise that support specific functions: Application Support, Production Support, System Support, Security, Storage & Media, Server Management, Operations Command Center, Quality Assurance, Database Support, Procurement, Network Management, Middleware, etc. Most of these roles will span across many hardware and software environments. Maybe you should work with your manager, or talk to others who work in these areas and see what interests you the most. Maybe they can tell you what sorts of background or skills they look for when they need to staff for these areas.

manivasakam wrote:Please suggest, is there any certification which can sharpen my Knowledge.

I think you have that backwards. First you hone your knowledge within a specific discipline and become an expert. Then you can seek the professional certification to prove that you posess the necessary skills for that discipline. Most professional certification programs are limited to certain disciplines.
MrSpock
Global moderator

Return to Stupid Questions