AES 256 Bit Encryption/Decryption through Cobol

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

AES 256 Bit Encryption/Decryption through Cobol

Postby SathishCS » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi ,

I have a requirement to implement AES 256 bit key based Encryption/Decryption.
Please do share me some sample Cobol program for refernence.

Thanks
Sathish CS
SathishCS

Re: AES 256 Bit Encryption/Decryption through Cobol

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:30 pm

It is not clear what you are asking. If you want COBOL code to implement AES 256 bit encryption and decryption, I suspect you will not get any responses. Your best bet would be to find the AES 256 bit algorithm on the Internet and implement it. Beware, however, that encryption algorithms are notoriously difficult to get right and getting it wrong could expose your data with very little effort. If you want AES 256 for PCI compliance, you'd have to find out what is needed to validate your code meets PCI requirements.

If you want a package to call from COBOL to perform AES 256 bit encryption, there is this tool called "Google" on the Internet that allows you to search for such products. Then your company evaluates them, picks the one that best meets their need, and buys it.

If your site has a crypto coprocessor installed on your machine, you may be able to achieve what you want by using it. However, only someone working at your site -- such as your site support group -- could tell you if crypto hardware is installed, and what you need to do to take advantage of it, and whether or not the crypto hardware supports AES 256 bit encryption.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Re: AES 256 Bit Encryption/Decryption through Cobol

Postby chaat » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:10 am

If your in a Z/OS environment, you could check to see in Cryptographic services are available. Check the Z/OS documentation for more information.

Chuck Haatvedt
chaat

Return to IBM Cobol