COBOL on DEC-Alpha Vs AIX

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

COBOL on DEC-Alpha Vs AIX

Postby bond_ajay » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:06 am

Hi,

We are planning to migrate an application which has cobol programs running on a DEC-ALPHA (Unix environment) having oracle 8i as database. The cobol program is accessing the oracle 8i DB as an indexed files.

The new platform will be based on AIX, and we need to migrate our cobol programs from DEC-ALPHA to AIX.

what are the things that needs to be taken care for this kind of migration. What are the differences of running the cobol code from DEC-ALPHA to AIX environment. Also, how do we access the Oracle 10g DB from Cobol? (As mentioned earlier, the current programs access the oracle 8i DB as indexed files, but this is not supported by oracle 10g).

Need your pointers and help on this. Please let me know if you need more clarification. Thanks!

Regards,
Ajay.
bond_ajay

Re: COBOL on DEC-Alpha Vs AIX

Postby dick scherrer » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:03 am

Hello,

Suggest you contact Oracle for guidance. You are migrating between 2 of their their products, so they should be able to tell you what you need to do.

There may already be documentation or a white paper on how to move from indexed files to 10g.

Have you searched the Oracle web site?
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby bond_ajay » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:55 am

Thanks Dick,

I havent checked but will now look into oracle website for more info. Thanks for your tips, i will get back to the forums if i dont here from them ;-)

Regards
Ajay
bond_ajay

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:51 pm

You're welcome - good luck :)

d
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to IBM Cobol