COBOL Report Writer questions

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

COBOL Report Writer questions

Postby tjstotz5dj7 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:52 am

Yes, my organization still has a bunch of old report writer code and I am asked to make some changes to it.
The problem that I am having is that the report I am working with has headers and footers and a control break field.
The print stream is duplexed when sent to the printer from the mainframe. My problem is that the control break starts on the top of the next page, but not always on a new sheet of paper.
I need to break again or use some command to leave a blank page and start the new control field value on a fresh sheet of paper. Nothing that I have tried works very well, and in some cases, I still get the heading on a page before a break happens. We don't have a bunch of modern document composition tools here, because I have used PB Streamweaver to do similar things. Any great ideas would sure be appreciated.
tjstotz5dj7

Re: COBOL Report Writer questions

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:59 pm

This does not sound like a Report Writer issue (nor a COBOL issue) but rather a problem with the way the printer is printing the data sent by the mainframe. Perhaps you should review the printer documentation?
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby tjstotz5dj7 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:56 am

It is a report writer issue, because I need to make it produce what I am looking for. How would you add a separator page whenever a control break happens? If I could do that, I could make it work.
tjstotz5dj7

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:11 am

Can you define column 1 of the control break to be a '1'? The '1' in the first column should force a top-of-page.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Mottas » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:57 pm

How does 1 in the first column force a top-of-page? It doesn't work that way in my very similar example.
Mottas

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:29 pm

Start by reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASA_carri ... characters and note that this is how MAINFRAME printers handle carriage control. If you are using a network / PC printer for mainframe printing, you will need to find out what software is being used to convert the mainframe carriage control to the network / PC carriage control, and how that impacts what you are trying to do.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to IBM Cobol