Non-Printable characters

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

Non-Printable characters

Postby CPANTX » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:48 am

I am using cobol file handling program that takes input from RUN JCL and puts it in a PS already created(DISP=SHR). Program is running successfully but when I open the PS to see the contents, it shows non-printable characters.

****** ***************************** Top of Data ******************************
 ==MSG> -CAUTION- Data contains invalid (non-display) characters. Use command   
 ==MSG>           ===> FIND P'.' to position cursor to these                   
 000001  #                                                                     
 ****** **************************** Bottom of Data ****************************

Line 000001 is the data that I put in the PS.

Why these invalid characters?

Thanks and regards,
CPANTX
CPANTX

Re: Non-Printable characters

Postby Bill Dennis » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:12 pm

Did your test only write one record? Check to make sure you are actually moving data to the output area before writing.
Regards,

Bill Dennis

Disclaimer: My comments on this forum are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity.
Bill Dennis

Re: Non-Printable characters

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Hello,

Look at "your data" in hex. . .

The entire output area needs to have valid data (typically a MOVE SPACES to the output file area or working-storage area) before writing the output.

If the output data contains packed-decimal or binary fields, there will usually be non-display characters in the output.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to IBM Cobol