Beginner to Mainframes

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

Beginner to Mainframes

Postby Addy Singh » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:42 pm

Dear Freinds,

I am absolute beginner to Mainframe Technology and wanted to make career in the same. can any one suggest me from where to start learning it. Do anyone tell me from where to start and all the technical topis listed in it. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Amandeep
Addy Singh

Re: Beginner to Mainframes

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:29 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum,

where to start
Suggest you talk with someone you know and ask how they got started in the mainframe field. This would preferably be someone who has entered the field recently, so you can learn how this was done where you are currently (rather than how this was done many years ago).

Depending on your location (or where you might re-locate), there may be training available.

all the technical topis listed in it
Far too broad a question. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Anuj Dhawan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi Addy,

I believe, questions of these kind are the most tough to answer. They are not straight forward like a technical question -- where you know the answer usually in 'yes' or 'no' format.

Dick has given you a correct direction and the most important, which I think is, your current location. I've been working in Indian market since some time now so I know the trend here...likewise people from different part know how the things work there...getting familiar with the trend would help you for sure.
Anuj
Anuj Dhawan

Postby Addy Singh » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:51 pm

thanx buddy, but again i m new to this forum also . Can help u in finding topics to learn for making career in MainFrames
Addy Singh

Postby Anuj Dhawan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:08 am

Hi Addy,

Are you from India?
Anuj
Anuj Dhawan

Postby zos13 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:00 am

Anuj Dhawan wrote:Hi Addy,

Are you from India?

I am from India, Please guide me. I want to be the best programmer or engineer. My only confusion is I do not know where to start and how to start.
Also I am new to this forum. Not aware how to search topics efficiently. Working on it.

If possible please please Tell me the best institutes in India (Faculty name also, if possible) or any experienced person on this forum giving classes (sorry if I am breaking forum rules).

Please reply. I already wasted much time . Do not want to waste anymore. I am in Delhi but can relocate anywhere in India.
zos13

Postby KMG » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi Friends,

A simple rule - No one can be a 'BEST' programmer, there is always someone who can code better than you :idea:

Firslty, get yourself familiar with COBOL (Programming Language), DB2 or IMS (Database), JCL (Job Control Language) and unfortunately you can't do this in any 'Self-Learning' session :cry:
Regards, KMG
KMG

Postby Anuj Dhawan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:38 pm

When I ask "are you from India", there were some more follow up questions I had in mind.

1. What are your qualifications?
2. Are you currently working?

And I agree with KMG -- no one is "best" from programming per se. I'd say, you'll be disappointed if you'll search for perfection...having high goals is good but to keep them realistic is the key to success.
Anuj
Anuj Dhawan

Postby kashmiri » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:14 am

Hi All,

Although i am new to mainframes too, but i am slightly different from Addy Singh. I have been working in mainframes fro past year and a half. Its a really good environment to work on.
I am currently working in an MNC in Bangalore.

I have few basic question which i think Anuj can answer as he is awaree of the indian market.
Anuj,
I am working on mainframes but mostly on batch programming. Like, I use JCl a lot and COBOl and ezytrieve. But i have no idea of CICS and DB2. Although i do try working on DB2 at home where i have downloaded a freeware from IBM which allows us to work on quieres.

I am pretty confused.

Am I working on batch which is goin to be obslete in few years and i would be left wondering.

Should i try to immediately move from this place so that i get a chnace to work on online systems which i am really trying hard to but am not getting an oppertunity. I am a very goood learner provided i get an opertunity to work.

Whats the way learn CICs when you dont have a real time opertunity to work on it.

Thanks a lot in advance

Mohsin
kashmiri

Postby Anuj Dhawan » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:29 pm

Mohsin,

One line answer is -- don't worry, so far you're not on wrong track.

Long answer is, search in google on "future of mainframe" you'll get many intresting links. :)
Anuj
Anuj Dhawan

Return to IBM Cobol