What is the difference between Object code and Source code?

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

What is the difference between Object code and Source code?

Postby ramesh4mainframes » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi,

When we compile the program the source code will load into Load modules. I have read that Source code become Object code. Is it true?
Thanks,
RamS
ramesh4mainframes

Re: What is the difference between Object code and Source code?

Postby NicC » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:30 pm

Yes, it is true. The object module is then linked into the final program along with the various routines required e.g. read/write. Suggest you get a beginners book - this will be explained. Something like COBOL for Dummies. I am not trying to be funny or rude - I use this book myself along with others. It comes with compilers for the PC so, if you do not have access to your normal machine then you can learn at home. One thing, it does seem to be a bit old now (1997) but the basics do not change!

Whilst researching this I came across SAMS Teach Yourself COBOL in 24 hours. Again an old book but again it has a PC compiler (which may not work with WIN/V WIN/7).
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby nagendra » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:13 pm

hiiiii,

yes, i heard this when one of my seniour was teaching me...

its true....
Nagendra
nagendra

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:37 pm

Hello,

Source code is what the developer writes and is input to the compiler. Object code is output from the compiler.

Object code is combined (linkedited) with other code and the output of this is a load module. If you look at the output of a linkage editor step, you will see many components that are linked in automatically.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to IBM Cobol