find job predecessor

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

find job predecessor

Postby prep13 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:20 am

Hi All,

Generally while working in mainframes we do come across various jobs that are intended to run on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. More or less these jobs are often dependent on their predecessor jobs to start executing. Now as of now I know that we can check the predecessor and successors of a job by using TSO PBI. But is there any other automation done by which we can directly fetch the name of the predecessor jobs of any particular job.

Now why I am doing this because I want to save time of my people who waste their time by mere looking at the predecessor of a job if it has not run on any particular ay. Then they spend hours in finding which particular predecessor job has not run.

Example:
I have a ZZZZZZ. Say it predecessor are XXXXX, YYYYY
Now XXXXX has 3 predecessor TTTTT, UUUUU, VVVVV
and YYYYY has 2 namely, SSSSS and RRRRR
In turn all of these predecessor might have more predecessor.

Now if I know ZZZZZ has not run today, then there might be problem with any of its predecessor job. Now getting this list is cumbersome and very time consuming. Is there any way bu which we can find all such predecessor of any job.This way we can find which particular job has not run which is why job in question is delayed.
prep13

Re: find job predecessor

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:31 am

I'm not sure what ANY of this has to do with COBOL -- which is the forum you posted in.

Would not your scheduling package provide this kind of data? Why not consult the documentation for it?
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to IBM Cobol