Develop/test mainframe programs (COBOL/CICS/DB2/VSAM/JCL)

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

Develop/test mainframe programs (COBOL/CICS/DB2/VSAM/JCL)

Postby EAmaingrame » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:55 pm

Dears : I expected to be able to develop, test and run mainframe programs (COBOL/CICS/DB2/VSAM/JCL) in PC platform (intel core i7//64 bit/1.60 GHZ/4 MB ram) under Windows 7. Per my research Micro Focus Mainframe Enterprise Express might work fine .
I have not experience with mainframes' emulator working on personal computers
Please, if anybody can help me, I would like to get any input about the following:
Question 1) Is it the unified environment for mainframe development on personal computers?
Question 2) Where can I buy this product? Some one knows any vendors?
Question 3) Is there any other product/compiler/emulator that anyone can recommends to do the job in PC under windows 7?

THANKS so much in advance for your time and help.
ED.
EAmaingrame

Re: Develop/test mainframe programs (COBOL/CICS/DB2/VSAM/JCL)

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:06 am

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Question 1) Is it the unified environment for mainframe development on personal computers?
I do not understand what this is asking. . . What is the "unified environment for mainframe development"?

Question 2) Where can I buy this product? Some one knows any vendors?
Micro Focus Mainframe Express is available thru MicroFocus.

Question 3) Is there any other product/compiler/emulator that anyone can recommends to do the job in PC under windows 7?
I don't know about Windows 7, but there are other alternatives for working on the pc. You might also look into Developerworks form IBM. I don't know much about it - only that it exists.

I expected to be able to develop, test and run mainframe programs (COBOL/CICS/DB2/VSAM/JCL) in PC platform (intel core i7//64 bit/1.60 GHZ/4 MB ram) under Windows 7.
Who expects you to be able to do this? They should provide guidance on how you might proceed. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Re: Develop/test mainframe programs (COBOL/CICS/DB2/VSAM/JCL)

Postby DOS/VS COBOL Guy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:20 pm

The z/PDT emulator IBM offers through their Independent Software Vendor (ISV) program is fascinating. I wish I had it, but it's a bit pricey for a poor, wage-earner like me (an IT Pro might be able to afford it, though). It allows one to run scaled-down versions of z/OS, z/VSE or z/VM, along with their respective base and optional program products e.g. VSE/POWER, CICS, DB2, etc. on a sufficiently-powerful personal computer or server. It's mainly designed to allow ISVs to reduce development costs and enhance the profitability of the applications they develop. This, plus these ISVs also get early access to any new OS and program product code IBM comes out with so the they can leverage any new features the new versions of these IBM products have to offer..
DOS/VS COBOL Guy

Return to IBM Cobol