how to de concatenate the records from one ps to multiple ps

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

how to de concatenate the records from one ps to multiple ps

Postby mylavarapuvinay » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:23 am

1)how to de-concatenate the records from one ps to multiple ps's using iebgeneral and is there any other way
mylavarapuvinay

Re: how to de concatenate the records from one ps to multiple ps

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:30 am

Terminology is critical in IT, where similar terms may mean very different things. On an IBM mainframe, there is no such program as "iebgeneral" since program names for utilities are limited to 8 characters to comply with old operating system limits. There is an IEBGENER program, however.

"Concatenate" is a very specific term on an IBM mainframe, referring to the situation of having one DD name pointing to multiple data sets. You would "de-concatenate" this by using a unique DD name for each data set. If this is not what you want, you'll need to do a better job of explaining just what you are trying to do before we could help you. If you are wanting to split records in a single file into multiple files, this can be done by IEBGENER, IDCAMS, application programs, SORT, and possibly other tools depending upon what is available at your site.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:31 am

do you want to concatenate or 'deconcatenate' - there is probably no such word as 'deconcatenate'. What do you mean by 'deconcatenate'
I suspect you have not read the forum rules - I suggest you do so before your next post - note particularly the rule about 'new question = new topic'
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:32 am

Sorry - I may have jumped the gun here or someone has split this out from the other topic - oops and sorry again :oops:
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:34 am

If you want to remove a dataset from the middle of a concatenation then you need to dummy it - but read the warning in the manual (actually it is in another post today so you will not have to dirty your hands reading the manuals - today anyway)
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:39 am

today is not psychic day, but I' ll give it a try!

maybe the question is

given a PS dataset what are the tools that can be used to split it in multiple parts!

reply...
search the forms for "dfsort how to split a file/dataset in multiple files/datasets/parts/"
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:43 am

Whatever - it is NOT a COBOL question but, using my interpretation and one of Robert's, it is a JCL question but, using Enrico's interpretation or Robert's second offering, it is a Utility question.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:03 am

Hello,

Suggest you post a small amount of sample data and the output(s) you want when this sample is processed.

Mention the recfm and lrecl of the files and the "rules" for getting from the input to the output(s).
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to IBM Cobol