Something wrong in this dateset

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

Something wrong in this dateset

Postby vegafacundodaniel » Thu May 19, 2011 9:33 pm

Hello Everybody,

I have question please.

I created a sequential dataset with 3.2 of 300 characters long.

When I want to edit it, I find '00000100' at the end... what is that ?
When I want to delete that string manually and save the dataset, I can't... I get an error message saying "Some input data ignored"

Some help please !
Thanks in advance
vegafacundodaniel

Re: Something wrong in this dateset

Postby MrSpock » Thu May 19, 2011 9:34 pm

What does your PROFILE settings (the PROF command) say?
MrSpock
Global moderator

Postby vegafacundodaniel » Thu May 19, 2011 9:40 pm

CHAR(0) LINE(0) PROMPT INTERCOM NOPAUSE NOMSGID MODE NOWTPMSG RECOVE
R PREFIX(XX$$) PLANGUAGE(ENU) SLANGUAGE(ENU) VARSTORAGE(LOW)
DEFAULT LINE/CHARACTER DELETE CHARACTERS IN EFFECT FOR THIS TERMINAL

Thanks
vegafacundodaniel

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu May 19, 2011 9:45 pm

most probably the ISPF edit profile for the dataset has NUMBER ON
try to issue the command NUMBER OFF
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby vegafacundodaniel » Thu May 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Great !!!

Thanks very much !
vegafacundodaniel

Postby steve-myers » Fri May 20, 2011 12:00 am

vegafacundodaniel wrote:Hello Everybody,

I have question please.

When I want to edit it, I find '00000100' at the end... what is that ?
When I want to delete that string manually and save the dataset, I can't... I get an error message saying "Some input data ignored"

Some help please !
Thanks in advance
This is your typical very poorly worded question. "I created a sequential dataset with 3.2 of 300 characters long." 3.2 What? Based on other responses it appears to be ISPF Option 3.2, but that gives no clue as to how data was placed into the dataset, which is not in the question. Then MrSpock asked for the profile, and you responded with the TSO session profile, which is not the appropriate ptofile for this question. Then enrico-sorichetti guessed (there is no other apprpriate term) that it was a line number inserted by ISPF EDIT, which appatently was the correct answer.

Had you asked this question, "I created a dataset using ISPF Option 3.2 with a record length of 300 characters, and then used ISPF edit to insert data into the dataset. I found 00000100 at the end of the first record. What is that?" Most likely you would have gotten a response, and possibly a solution right away!
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Fri May 20, 2011 12:40 am

But there is nothing like being familiar with your software - (P)F1 reading should be done regularly until you are familiar with its contents. The tutorial even allows you to skip more complex topics so that you can get a quicker overview.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Akatsukami » Fri May 20, 2011 12:45 am

steve-myers wrote:This is your typical very poorly worded question. "I created a sequential dataset with 3.2 of 300 characters long." 3.2 What? Based on other responses it appears to be ISPF Option 3.2, but that gives no clue as to how data was placed into the dataset, which is not in the question. Then MrSpock asked for the profile, and you responded with the TSO session profile, which is not the appropriate ptofile for this question. Then enrico-sorichetti guessed (there is no other apprpriate term) that it was a line number inserted by ISPF EDIT, which appatently was the correct answer.

I disagree; Dr. Sorichetti applied intelligence guided by experience.

I agree that the question was poorly worded, but that is because people who thirty years ago might or might not be considered for a job tending line printers are now being hired as DBAs, system programmers, and storage managers. Even with a reasonable amount of knowledge and reasonable command of English, however, anything short of a complete "info dump" might not give all we need to solve the problem; another analyst and I puzzled for ten minutes over a Panvalet extract problem before the analyst with the problem casually mentioned that he was trying to extract source code to a load library!

When we are presented with a problem, and someone can say, "Yes, I've seen this a hundred times; your problem is...", the more power to him. Otherwise, we go through the routine of asking, "Show us A, B, and C"...and the querent is too humiliated to show A and produces the irrelevant D instead of C.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Fri May 20, 2011 12:52 am

Took me a couple of goes to figure out what 3.2 of 300 meant and I have been using SPF/SPF since the 70s. I knew immediately what a probable cause was because someone else had the same query a few days/weeks ago. Don't know if it was this forum though.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Return to IBM Cobol