Character set which z/os Support

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

Character set which z/os Support

Postby ritikasingh » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:18 am

As a part of process i am transferring the data from unix box to mainframe using FTP.
Now i have this file having currency details.When i transfer this file , into a flat file fixed block, all symbols come in except euro & yen..
I went to the setting in INPF option 0, it says enable euro sign, i tried it , but i still can not see .

Can any body suggest which charecter set Mainframe v8 IS USING so that i can sepecify itself while ftyping it to mainframe.
Some thing like UTF8/EBCDIC code page
ritikasingh

Re: Character set which z/os Support

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:39 am

Hello,

Can any body suggest which charecter set Mainframe v8
How does v8 and COBOL relate?

If your system is at all current, you are probably using Enterprise COBOL 4.x.

Are you possibly referring to the operating system level or the release of db2 or something else?
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:21 am

1. The mainframe code page is usually 1047 or 037 but not always. Only your site support group can tell you for sure.

2. If the FTP is starting on the mainframe, there can be a translation table used to convert from one code page to another during the FTP -- so what the mainframe code page is could be totally irrelevant (if the FTP translated from whatever to code page 407, for example). This translation table can be accessed in several different ways, so the mere fact that you don't have a DD statement for it in your FTP means nothing.

3. Since this is site specific, why are you not talking to your site support group, team leader, or coworkers to find out what is what AT YOUR SITE?
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:54 am

z/OS mostly uses the Extended Binary Coded Decimal Interchange Code (EBCDIC) character set. The code pages mentioned by Mr Sample and Mr scherrer are used to convert character codes for display purposes and are, to me, very confusing.

If I remember correctly the most commonly used EBCDIC hexadecimal code for the Euro is X'9E'. The Yen code is more confusing, as it is also frequently used for the $ and British pound symbols. This goes back to the 1960s when printer chains were quite limited; rather than have a $, a Yen symbol, and a pound symbol they just had one, whatever was appropriate. Of course you could make: a yen symbol by overprinting a Y with an =, though that slowed things up.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby ritikasingh » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:12 pm

Thanks all for the suggestion..
I have asked the system admin to look into it..will kep you posted..
More information on issue :
In notepad file looks:
B-Euro: €
Pounds: £
Yen: ¥
Umlao: Ä
S: Å 

After FTPing TO MAINFARME IT SHOWS:

B-Euro: .
Pounds: £
Yen: ¥
Umlao: Ä
S: .
ritikasingh

Postby Akatsukami » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:28 pm

The euro sign and the S-caron are Unicode symbols. Offhand, I don't know if there is a single code page that has both these glyphs, although it's very likely that there is.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Hello,

It may help someone help you if you post the hex values of these bytes on both sides of the transfer. The existing values on the "sending" side and the needed values on the mainframe.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby ritikasingh » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:17 pm

as of now if we are receiving files fromOracle database..Oracle is in UTF-8 , And i changed the code page for the mainframe from 037 to 1140 ..i CAN SEE EURO/YEN etc SIGN IN MAINFRAME.
Now the issue is in UTF-8 i cecked that this extra byte will always come for double byte character.We have to find commona code page in Oracle and mainframe which supports all this special characters and does not print extra character .Hex value of Euro at mainframe with code page 1140 IS '9F' , yEN 'b2',£ 'B1' ..

At mainframe this is how data is coming with extar byte:

C£
C6B

While it should be Just
C£
CB
ritikasingh

Return to IBM Cobol