Typrun=scan Where i need to see the errors

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

Typrun=scan Where i need to see the errors

Postby mainframemunic » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:42 pm

//xxxxxx JOB NOTIFY=&SYSUID,typrun=scan
//STEP1 EXEC PGM=SORT
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSOUT DD SYSOUT=*
//SORTIN DD DSN=xxxxx.PANDS.JCL(PS1),DISP=(SHR )
//SORTOUT DD DSN=xxxxx.PANDS.JCL(PS2),DISP=SHR
//SORTWK01 DD UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(TRK,(10,10),RLSE)
//SORTWK02 DD UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(TRK,(10,10),RLSE)
//SYSIN DD *
SORT FIELDS=(1,3,CH,A)
/*
//
above in this program when i am compiling i can't see the jcl syntax error message. i have given syntax for disp =(shr) wrongly. so where i can see the syntax error .some one please help me soon.
mainframemunic

Re: Typrun=scan Where i need to see the errors

Postby NicC » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:45 pm

Nothing in your job refers to COBOL - so why post in the COBOL forum? Your JCL output will be found on your spool software - maybe that is SDSF but others are available. Also, your job does not do a compile - it is a sort. Get your facts straight before posting. Also, for this sort of question your colleagues are a much better, and quicker, source of information.

Another thing - use the Full Editor and use its facilities to 'wrap' your code in code tags.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby BillW » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:21 pm

Your DISP=(SHR), may not be incorrect. For example, if I remember correctly (and that is a stretch), but "DISP=(OLD,DELETE,DELETE)" is valid, so parenthesis around the parameter is valid. Just because you only supplied one of the three possible, doesn't necessarily make it incorrect. If you want to try something, misspell "SHR" to "SHRE" which is truly incorrect and give that a shot.
BillW

Postby Akatsukami » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:04 pm

mainframemunic wrote://xxxxxx JOB NOTIFY=&SYSUID,typrun=scan
//STEP1 EXEC PGM=SORT
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSOUT DD SYSOUT=*
//SORTIN DD DSN=xxxxx.PANDS.JCL(PS1),DISP=(SHR )
//SORTOUT DD DSN=xxxxx.PANDS.JCL(PS2),DISP=SHR
//SORTWK01 DD UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(TRK,(10,10),RLSE)
//SORTWK02 DD UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(TRK,(10,10),RLSE)
//SYSIN DD *
SORT FIELDS=(1,3,CH,A)
/*
//
above in this program when i am compiling i can't see the jcl syntax error message. i have given syntax for disp =(shr) wrongly. so where i can see the syntax error .some one please help me soon.

1. I sincerely hope that the lower-case letters in the job card are due to you foolishly re-typing the JCL instead of doing a copy-and-paste from your emulator.
  2. If you had used code tags, it would have been immediately obvious that the error in the JCL as given is that you've coded
    DISP=(SHR )

instead of
    DISP=(SHR)

on the SORTIN DD (note extra space).
  3. Hi, Opal!
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby mainframemunic » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:41 pm

yes i know i have coded wrongly... where i can see the syntax error in the above program
mainframemunic

Postby BillyBoyo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:16 pm

Start at the top of your job output, and look line-by-line until you find it. Shouldn't take long.

You could make the error more glaring, as has been suggested, and then you'd be able more easily to search of it.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby mainframemunic » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:27 pm

billyboyo,
i know that, but i need to check how the typrun parameter is working? that y i am asking how can i check that?
mainframemunic

Postby BillyBoyo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:52 pm

What do you mean by "how it is working"? Processing is ended after the JCL-checking is complete, and you are presented with the output. Normally other stuff happens after the JCL-checking (if there are no JCL errors (rather than errors of logic) and the job will then sit in the input queue, awaiting selection, then it will run. The TYPRUN=SCAN just stops the full process early, so that you can fix-up the errors before submitting it for real at some point.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby Akatsukami » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:25 pm

mainframemunic wrote:yes i know i have coded wrongly... where i can see the syntax error in the above program

:roll:
  1. It's not a program, it's a job. If you cannot master basic terminology, no one will have any idea as to what you're talking about, and vice versa.
  2. You can see your error in my post supra.
  3. If you mean, "How can I see the output of my jobs generally?", begin by telling us if your system using JES2 or JES3 (you do know, don't you?)
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby mainframemunic » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:13 pm

akatsukami
if know the answer means tell otherwise don't give any idea.....
mainframemunic

Next

Return to IBM Cobol