How to do table hanling in COBOL

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

How to do table hanling in COBOL

Postby chandra 2185 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:01 pm

How to use table handling in cobol program. How to use indexing with the table handling. Please explain with an example?

Thanks in advance.
chandra 2185

Re: How to do table hanling in COBOL

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:34 pm

If you have some specific question, we'll guide you to an answer. But asking these questions is asking for a tutorial, and this is a HELP forum, not a TEACHING forum. Read any COBOL book, or go to HTTP://WWW.IBM.COM and find the Enterprise COBOL manuals and read up on table handling and indexes in the Language Reference and Application Programming Guide manuals.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby chandra 2185 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:08 pm

Hi Robert,

I do have a specific question,but before that I wanted to try myself and see, I deem that using table concept would solve my purpose,but i wanted myself to try first before posting the scenario, anyways I am going through some material and will try again. If I am not sucessful then I will post the case study. Thanks for your time and suggestion.
chandra 2185

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:35 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum,

There is a LOT of info in the Enterprise COBOL Language Reference that is available free online. It has several examples. You probably want to download a copy for easier reference. Also, suggest you download a copy of the Enterprise COBOL Programming Guide. You should (will) use both regularly. We old guys still do. . . ;)

Suggest for learning you restrict yourself to a one-dimensional array for the first attempt. Define a "code" and a "description" and using the code, find the description. If you get stuck, post your code and someone will be able to help.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby chandra 2185 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Thank you d.sch.
chandra 2185

Return to IBM Cobol