Compilation error while using " ' "

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

Compilation error while using " ' "

Postby Aki88 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:54 pm

Hello,

We have recently moved from SCLM platform to DeltaVision; during the code movement, on the new platform, we were getting compilation error for the below code snippet (same has been working on SCLM):

019900     03  JOB-LINE-05E.                                     
020000         05  FILLER              PIC X(13)   VALUE         
020100     "// SET USER='".                              <--  error line     
020200         05  WS-USER-NAME        PIC X(20)   VALUE SPACES.
020300         05  FILLER              PIC X(47)   VALUE SPACES.
020400*                                                         

The error description states:
DFH7035I           C        00239         CONTINUATION AND TWO QUOTES ASSUMED.
                                          CONTINUED.                         

On searching for the informational message, came across a few explanations stating that the DBCS characters were not handled correctly during translation ( referring to link: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1PQ66800 and http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/cicsts/v5r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.cics.ts.messages.doc%2FDFH70%2FDFHXX7035IE.html)

Below are the compiler options in force for the above compilation:
CICS 6.5.0 COMMAND LANGUAGE TRANSLATOR       
OPTIONS SPECIFIED:-APOST,DEBUG,NOSEQ,SP,COBOL3
OPTIONS IN EFFECT*       
   CICS
   DEBUG
   SPIE
   EDF
   LINECOUNT(60)
   TABLE(DFHEITAB,DFHEITBS)
   SP
   NATLANG(EN)
   SOURCE
 NOVBREF
   OPTIONS
   FLAG(W)
 NOSEQ
   APOST
 NONUM
   SPACE(1)               
   CBLCARD                 
 NOSYSEIB 
 NOFEPI   
 NOCPSM   
   LINKAGE
   COBOL3 
   LENGTH

Have done a workaround for this and got the code compiled; though was curious as to what am I missing here which is causing this error; the workaround solution is as below:

022800     03  JOB-LINE-05E.                           
022900         05  FILLER              PIC X(12)   VALUE
023000     "// SET USER=".                                           <-- Modified line-1
023010         05  FILLER              PIC X(01)   VALUE QUOTE.    <-- Modified line-2
023100         05  WS-USER-NAME        PIC X(20)   VALUE SPACES.
023200         05  FILLER              PIC X(47)   VALUE SPACES.
023300*

Best Regards.
Aki88

Re: Compilation error while using " ' "

Postby BillyBoyo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:28 pm

I would try moving the literal so that it starts in column 12.

Your workaround is exactly how we would code it in the days before we could be flexible in the use of " or ' for delimiting literals, so don't worry about that.

You could try to change QUOTE to "'" and see if that gives a problem, just for problem-determination.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby Aki88 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:51 pm

Hey Bill,

Thanks!
I did try the " ' " option; the error is occuring for any instance where ' is followed by " or vice-versa; so it didn't work out.
I'd originally coded: X'7D' instead of 'QUOTE', though had to remove it due to installation standards. :lol:

But what is surprising me here is- something which is working on one tool, goes for a toss on another; which forced me to think on the lines of translator options being used in the new compilation!
I am not sure on how we can see/modify the compiler options in SCLM ARCHDEF (one of the reasons why I am unsure how SCLM was performing translations :( )
Can it be becasue I've missed something/a compiler option during the fresh compile??

Best Regards.
Aki88

Postby BillyBoyo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:56 pm

The message number is not a compiler message, it is a CICS translator message. There must be a subtle difference between how the CICS part of your programs was done previously and now. Are you able to visually compare the JCL for the differences between them?

You have a new vendor, who is keen to keep a new customer happy. So find out the correct way to contact them (there is often some red-tape about who is allowed to talk to suppliers, but often if your question is sufficiently technical you get to talk to them yourself).
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby Aki88 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:19 pm

Hey Bill,

Yup, it is the translator which is giving me troublesome hours these days! :cry: My bad, I mistyped the compiler/translator in my previous post.
The SCLM JCL hardly shows the PARM options, so I was not able to get a clear picture of how the ARCHDEF was functioning there.
Though I did tweak around the DeltaVision JCL (to not much success); the translation keeps bombing if variables or the code piece have ' and " grouped together. Honestly few of the old programs now look weird with loads of 'QUOTE' written all over them. :mrgreen:

I'll go back to the DV guys and hopefully they might be able to fix something for us, and we'll be saved from the trouble of replacing all the '/" combinations over tons of code!

Thanks.
Aki88

Postby BillyBoyo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:15 pm

It is curious. I would have thought that the CICS translator would understand valid COBOL - unless it is picking up a very old version of the translator. Perhaps an old version of the translator is getting picked up in a JOBLIB/STEPLIB? Anyway, good luck and let us know.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby Aki88 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:28 pm

Sure Billy, will do, once I hear back from them with a valid outcome....
Have a good weekend ahead!!

Cheers.
Aki88

Return to IBM Cobol