Using COPY copybooks in COBOL

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

Using COPY copybooks in COBOL

Postby nikesh_rai » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:27 pm

Hi,

I have a COBOL module which will be having two copybooks(say A and B) included using COPY verb. Now copybooks A and B both have same programming logic except 2 - 3 lines. These two copybooks are framework copybooks and designed for some specific purpose, so I can not modify the copybooks. These copybooks have same SECTIONs name even. Now my problem is I have to use both the copybooks in same COBOL module. and this will cause compilation error.

Can anyone please suggest me a better approach for this.
Thanks
Nikesh Rai
nikesh_rai

Re: Using COPY copybooks in COBOL

Postby Akatsukami » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:40 pm

Have you considered COPY REPLACING?
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby nikesh_rai » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:01 pm

but COPY REPLACING I have used when copybook have layout for records. My copybooks have programing logics and I never used COPY REPLACING for copybooks having programs. If possible can you paste some examples here if you have.
Thanks
Nikesh Rai
nikesh_rai

Postby BillyBoyo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:42 pm

The mechanism is the same. It is just a COPYBOOK, contents irrelevant to how it is acted upon by the compiler. COPY and REPLACE are not verbs, by the way.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:11 am

Hello,

Suggest you consider Not using either/both of the original copybooks.

This may only be the first situation that needs the functionality of both of the originals.

Possibly one new copybook that contains all of the functionality with non-conflicting names would be a step in a better direction?
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Anuj Dhawan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:24 pm

COPY REPLACING is a good option, however, that would require the original COPYBOOKs to be modified to have a "-:TAG:-" to be replaced.

I have a COBOL module which will be having two copybooks(say A and B) included using COPY verb. Now copybooks A and B both have same programming logic except 2 - 3 lines.
If this is the case, one possible option can be using the COPYBOOK with less number of code in the program and copy the "rest 2-3 lines" in your program logic itslef and just don't use the second copybook at all, no?
Anuj

These users thanked the author Anuj Dhawan for the post:
nikesh_rai (Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:22 pm)
Anuj Dhawan

Return to IBM Cobol