Pls help me solve my assignment

Pls help me solve my assignment

Postby breentha_d » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:18 pm

Hi, everyone

I am currently a student. Pls help me solve my assignment problem. I am in a mess right now as my due date is on the 4th of February 2008. I have included my program specification and required report format. I am required to write a cobol program for this assigmment. it is suppose to run on ZOS . Kindly someone pls help me here. I really need help.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
breentha_d

Re: Pls help me solve my assignment

Postby arunprasad.k » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:46 pm

breentha_d,

All the members here has their own own work. They can NOT sit and code for you.

Any programmers who has a little exposure to COBOL can do this.

If you have tried something and stuck with some problems then the members are here to help you out.

Show us what you have tried. Try doing this assignment by yourself, you will gain a lot of basic things in COBOL.

Arun.
arunprasad.k

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:01 pm

Hello,

I am in a mess right now as my due date is on the 4th of February 2008.
If you are just starting on this, you have waited until it is quite likely too late to meet the deadline.

If you post what you have coded so far, someone should have suggestions.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby MrSpock » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:31 am

[quote="arunprasad.k]They can NOT sit and code for you.[/quote]

I thought that is the whole concept behind this forum, that it's OK to solicit for code or for answers to questions or help with a homework assignment?
MrSpock
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:52 am

Hello,

I thought that is the whole concept behind this forum, that it's OK to solicit for code or for answers to questions or help with a homework assignment?
Yes, the concept is to answer questions and provide help. This does not mean that someone will take on "your" entire assignment with no input/effort from you.

What has been done so far? From the initial post, not much if anything. . . From the days when i spent time at a few universities as a guest lecturer/question answerer, assignments like this usually were expected to take a week or more (unless they were just an additional requirement to an already working process from an earlier exercise). Seems odd to wait until Friday before it is due on Monday to do something.

If someone has hopes of others writing their assignments (and subsequently "real" work someday?), i expect there will be disappointment (both with the forum and a job).
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:20 am

Hello again,

Continued thinking about this and need to ask this:
Does it seem proper for someone to turn in a homework assignment that they had nothing to do with?

I suspect many of the people who provide help here could create code far more elegant than most beginning students. How should such code be graded? What, if anything, would the student have actually learned?

Personally, i have no problem providing a complete answer for someone with a production system down but i do have problems helping a student cheat.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby breentha_d » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:16 pm

hi,
there

thanks for replying me. I really appreciate the answer you guys gave me. I was actually looking out for some ideas on how do the assignment. However i have done partially i have uploaded here together with the specification. i really hope that you actually check the assignment for me to know that i am on the right track. i really want to learn from you. I will submit the other half of the assignment to you again. I really hope to get help from you since i am very new to cobol. As a request from all students we actually got 1 week of extension from the tutor to complete.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
breentha_d

Postby breentha_d » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:19 pm

Hi

This is my specification attached
breentha_d

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:13 am

Hello,

It looks like you're off to a good start :)

As a suggestion, i'd recommend going thru your code and changing "real" words to something else. Sometimes "real" words are COBOl reserved words and cause compile problems.

000223            IF PDD AND PYYY NOT NUMERIC                                 
 000224               MOVE 'N' TO VAL-SW         
This might be OR instead of AND. I believe if either is not numeric, it should be considered an error.

You might also look into the rules for leap year. There are additional rules for years divisable by 100 and milleniums.

The READ statements have no code for AT END. The code should detect end of file as well as some planned value in the records.

Paragraph names and section names typically both begin in col 8.

We're here when there are more questions.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby breentha_d » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:40 am

Hi Dick

Thanks for replying ....i was taught that section begins at column 8 and paragraph begin at column 10. apart from the errors u pointed out is there anymore that i need to correct. pls give me some ideas on how to improve.

thanks.
breentha_d

Next

Return to Off-Topics