SYNCSORT - WER039A INSUFFICIENT VIRTUAL STORAGE

Support for NetApp SyncSort for z/OS, Visual SyncSort, SYNCINIT, SYNCLIST and SYNCTOOL

SYNCSORT - WER039A INSUFFICIENT VIRTUAL STORAGE

Postby mfrookie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:18 pm

Hello,

I am trying to create 40 or more output files out of an single input file by applying various INCLUDEs on these 40 OUTFIL statements and the job is abending with "WER039A INSUFFICIENT VIRTUAL STORAGE". Is SYNCSORT trying to fit I/O buffers below 16MB line. The conditions are complex in some cases and have more than5 fields to be compared with OUTREC also being applied to the OUTFIL statement.

Is there any way to avoid it. One option is obviuously to reduce the number of output files being created but that will increase the job's CPU ands Elapsed time which is a major conern for us. But apart from it, is there any option that can help - like VSCORE / VSCORET / CORE. I read in the manual that when DSM (Dynamic Storage Management) is active, specifying these options may not help and the values are just taken as a guidance. And we the DSM active at our shop. I tried option VSCORET=64M but it didn't work.

I tried various values on the REGION parameter with 0M and nothing worked.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.
mfrookie

Re: SYNCSORT - WER039A INSUFFICIENT VIRTUAL STORAGE

Postby BillyBoyo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Cut your OUTFILs down by 50%. Run. Do you get the same abend?

If no, you have to see whether you can "rationalise" in some way. I assume the cards as a whole are somewhat lengthy?

Have you looked at any explanation for that message?

Taking it up with SyncSort support is perhaps going to be your best bet.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby mfrookie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi BillyBoyo,

Sorry, I didn't mention it but I reduced the number of OUTFILs by around half and the job went thru. But as I said we are quite concerned about CPU/Elapsed time and hence were trying to calculate all possible values in step. Some of the conditions on the OUTFILs are complex and some of them are straight forward.

But just wanted to know aprt from it, is there any other option that could be tried.

Thanks.
mfrookie

Postby BillyBoyo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:52 pm

There may be. SyncSort support is your best bet.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 pm

Hello,

How much data is in the input file?

But as I said we are quite concerned about CPU/Elapsed time and hence were trying to calculate all possible values in step
What are these figures now?

Who has determined there is some kind of performance problem?

If you post the jcl and control statements submitted as well as the informational / diagnostic messages generated it mat help someone help you.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to Syncsort/Synctool