Symnames not working for split

Support for NetApp SyncSort for z/OS, Visual SyncSort, SYNCINIT, SYNCLIST and SYNCTOOL

Symnames not working for split

Postby Prakash88 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:52 am

Below is not working for symnames logic. Please help me in this.

//SYMNAMES DD *
PP,4
/*
//SYMNOUT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN DD *
SORT FIELDS=COPY
OUTFIL FILES=(01,02),SPLIT1R=PP .

my need is to pass dynamically values through SYMNAMES and file has to
be splitted based on the SYMNAMES input. Let me know if this syntax
is wrong.
Prakash88

Re: Symnames not working for split

Postby NicC » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Please let US know in what way 'it does not work'. Show comprehemsive sample input and matching sample output, LRECL, RECFM etc etc. Also the version of Syncsort that you are using. Post your data and messages using the code tags - use the Full Editor/POSTREPLY button to find the code tag facility.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic

These users thanked the author NicC for the post:
Prakash88 (Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:56 am)
NicC
Global moderator

Postby BillyBoyo » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:52 pm

Unfortunately, there are places you can use symbols, and places you can't. SPLIT1R (and it's cousins) will be a place that you can't.

Probably, you'll find that if it is somewhere where you can specify data on a file, or a position on a file, then a symbol is allowed. Otherwise, not. You should go back to the section in the manual on symbols. Read through it. Anything that is not clear, experiment with it. Read again. At some point you'll fully understand what the manual is saying. If you do get stuck, just post a question here.

Congratulations for wanting to use a symbol. It just doesn't work like that in SyncSort currently.

There is another way that you can use the symbol to get the result that you want. You "generate" the Control Cards from a SORT step which runs earlier. Where generating the cards, you can use the symbol.

These users thanked the author BillyBoyo for the post:
Prakash88 (Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:56 am)
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby Prakash88 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks Billy for the reply.Already had written with generating control card from the previous Sort step run . Dynamically created the sort control card based on the input file count.Thought of asking you if there is any way to use symbols in SPLIT1R. But looks like , we couldn't.
Prakash88

Postby BillyBoyo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:28 am

OK. If you next time explain what you've done already, you don't get the useless advice and we don't get to waste time giving it.

Also, before next time, you read the manual. If the manual says you can't do it, then you can't. If the manual is not specific, then you try it. If you try it and it fails, it is highly unlikely that someone can wave a magic wand and make it work for you. If you still want to ask, tell us all that you have done.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby Prakash88 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:59 pm

Cool Billy...i dint read the manual.. i tried on my own..am not here to waste your time..since you are the moderator, you know better than us..thats why we are asking you..not simply to test you..
Prakash88

Postby NicC » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:49 pm

After not reading the manual you really should have read the manual. A forum should be the place of last resort - even after the manual (I know men are supposed not to read manuals but they get on better if they do!)and some forum rules specify that.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby BillyBoyo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:35 am

Prakash88,

First you PM'd me and I told you it doesn't work that way, post your question. Then you posted, and I responded, and suggested the generation.

If you'd posted your question first, including all the information, then you'd have got your one-word answer, earlier, and I'd have saved a lot of my time.

Don't do it that way again, please.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Return to Syncsort/Synctool