To merge column data of multiple records

Support for NetApp SyncSort for z/OS, Visual SyncSort, SYNCINIT, SYNCLIST and SYNCTOOL

To merge column data of multiple records

Postby vinu78 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:59 am

Hi All,

I would like to merge column data of multiple records with LRECL 10 bytes onto a single record
The first 6 bytes of input is the key and for same data of first 6 bytes, the data on the 8th,9th and 10th byte that comes in multiple records should come in single record (if key matches)

Input is

ABCDEF X 
ABCDEF   Y
ABCDEF     Z
MNOPQR X
MNOPQR
MNOPQR
UVWXYA

Output is
ABCDEF XYZ
MNOPQR X 
UVWXYZ

So if there is data in 8th byte or 9th byte or 10th byte, just put everything in single record. If there is no data (sapces), just have spaces on that column in the signel record.
Please let me know whether it confuses you else I can provide more examples.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
Vinu
vinu78

Re: To merge column data of multiple records

Postby skolusu » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:30 am

Vinu78,

Didn't you post this question else where? Are you using DFSORT or Syncsort? If you are using Syncsort please post your queries in the syncsort forum.

Thanks
Kolusu - DFSORT Development Team (IBM)
DFSORT is on the Web at:
www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort
skolusu

Postby vinu78 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:28 am

Yes I have posted this question in IBM Mainframe expert forum. However it seems this question is too simple or I am not able to meet expectations of the experts. So I thought of posting this here. My apologies if that is wrong from my side.

Sure. I will post this question in syncsort forum

Vinu
vinu78

Postby vinu78 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Did anyone of you get a chance to have a peek at my requirements and any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Vinu
vinu78

Postby NicC » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:12 pm

They probably have and may not be interested any more. Have you revied the thread on the other forum and ensured that you have answered all the questions asked? If you have not answered them ALL then do so. Remember that you know exactly what you want and you know the scope of your data. Everyone else knows nothing which is why they ask the questions. Yes, they could probably provide a solution that will work witht he exact data sample that you gave but they need to ensure that the solution applies without fail to the total file - not just bits of it - which is why they are being so 'picky'.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:14 pm

The first issue is that the people who respond on the other forum are generally the same ones who respond on this forum. So you're not going to get better answers by changing forums.

Second, you were given information on the other forum and to all appearances you have done nothing with that information. If you want help -- either on this forum or that forum -- you need to post the complete job output of what you are trying, what results you are getting, and where those results do not match what you want to do.

Or you could write a program in the language of your choice -- if you had done so instead of posting to a forum, by now you would have a functioning, tested program to accomplish your goal.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:56 pm

Hello,

As this is a duplicate, it is being locked. There is dialog on the other topic.

Please do not post the same question in multiple places. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to Syncsort/Synctool