GQSCAN

High Level Assembler(HLASM) for MVS & VM & VSE

GQSCAN

Postby JPVRoff » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:54 am

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but my usual outlet for questions seems to have shut-up shop recently (mvsHelp.net), so I thought I'd try here.

We've got a multiple LPAR system and I've been trying to work out if there is any way to determine who is using a dataset when they are not on the same LPAR that I or my job is running on. GQSCAN works fine for when I'm on the same system, but doesn't give me anything when I'm on a different LPAR.

We do have CA-MIM to handle resource sharing, but that only really seems to handle the actual allocation. It doesn't seem to be able to be interrogated in the same way that the local enqueues can be. It's probably a pipe-dream, but I'd like to be able to run a job to tell me who has my files allocated at 4 in the morning.

Any pointers or hints will be very welcome.
Regards,
Jonathan

"Calm down, it's only ones and zeros" © Kathy Mar, 1985
JPVRoff

Re: GQSCAN

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:44 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Yup, quite a few have lamented the departure of mvshelp. . .

Does your system have a common scheduling package? Might there be a way to declare these "problem datasets" as special recources and when one job has the resource, another cannot allocate it?

I'm not a scheduling expert, but thought this might be worth looking into. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby JPVRoff » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:37 am

Hi Dick,

We have no problem with the actual allocation. CA-MIM handles these quite well, taking an enqueue from the requesting job and holding it until the dataset is released on the other LPAR. I believe it also sends out messages every couple of minutes as well. So, when it comes to dataset allocation and enqueue, it all works fine, I can easily work out if a dataset is allocated. I just cannot find out who has it allocated - which is what I'm looking for.

You see, we write tools for our local use and these have been picked up and used by people in our sites around the world. And, of course, they have to allocate the datasets to their SYSEXEC, ISPLLIB, etc to be able to use them effectively. I can see who has our various files allocated on the local system by simply running a WHOHAS (our local implementation of GQSCAN). But, if I submit a batch job to run WHOHAS, because our jobs are load-shared when we submit them, it is difficult to force them to run on other LPARs. Even more so as I'm not sure what names of all of the LPARs are.

I'd prefer not to alter our code to inform us who is using our stuff (and when). But I would like to be able to work out who actually has the libraries assigned at any stage. All these big machines with their multiple LPARs - the world was much simpler 30 years ago.
Regards,
Jonathan

JPVRoff

Postby JPVRoff » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:59 am

I can't seem to find an 'edit' button, so I'll post another reply - is there a way to edit a post once it's been submitted?

I forgot to mention that, yes, we use CA-7 across all US/China LPARs (and I work on one fo the US systems), except that I don't actually have access to it (and no real justification for my work at this point).

It seems that this is another of those little pecadillos that you find in some products. Like the inability to access the JCL variables (that you 'SET' and use in JCL) from any subsequent program executed by the JCL. They're simply compiled by JES2 (probably 3 also, but I haven't used that in decades) and then discarded before the program execution actually starts.
Regards,
Jonathan

JPVRoff

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:24 am

Hi Jonathan,

I believe you can edit a post here for 10 minutes or so. As a moderator, i can edit mine and other posts so i've not learned how this works. The idea (i believe) is to prevent "history" from being changed by just everyone.

If you want something you've posted changed, post a reply to that topic and let me know what you'd like to have changed. This isn't something we do wholesale, but once in a while is no big deal 8-)

d
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby JPVRoff » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:52 am

Thanks, Dick.

Now that I know the limits, I can work with them. It wasn't important - I was just going to add a couple of sentences to the original post.
Regards,
Jonathan

JPVRoff

Postby steve-myers » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:34 am

JPVRoff wrote:We've got a multiple LPAR system and I've been trying to work out if there is any way to determine who is using a dataset when they are not on the same LPAR that I or my job is running on. GQSCAN works fine for when I'm on the same system, but doesn't give me anything when I'm on a different LPAR.
  • Use the MAS command entered in SDSF to find the names of the systems sharing the SPOOL in your local system.
  • You should be able to run a job in any other system in the shared SPOOL by inserting /*JOBPARM S=system-name (where system-name is one of the names you just determined). Use /*JOBPARM S=* to run the job on the system where the job was submitted.
If it turns out the other system is another node in a JESx network other methods apply.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby Ed Goodman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:02 pm

My version of WHOHAS seems to find the enqueues on the other "boxes." We have a common catalog between the systems though, so maybe it's checking that?
Ed Goodman

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:21 pm

please do not double post
http://www.ibmmainframes.com/viewtopic.php?t=56734
which was locked and deleted
the people answering are mostly the same, so double posting will not get You more answers

anyway the cbt tape at http://www.cbttape.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has quite a few examples of GQSCAN usage
GQSCAN was found 789 times in 92 files
( in the cbt sources I downloaded, since they are not the latest ones, there might be more occurrences )
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:23 pm

Follow on...
please disregard the previous link to the duplicate post, topic has been deleted
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Next

Return to Assembler