Rexx to check if jobs have ran.

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

Rexx to check if jobs have ran.

Postby Aoxx » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:30 pm

I am trying to figure out how to write code for having REXX go out and check if a list of jobs have run, i have taken some basic tutorials on REXX coding but have not seen any commands that pass a command to another area (such as CA7 or SAR) wondering if anyone has this built or can push me in the right direction. Any advice is appreciated.
Aoxx

Re: Rexx to check if jobs have ran.

Postby Aoxx » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:39 pm

After reading some of the other posts i figured i should be a little more specific with what i am trying to do. Ok so i am new to the mainframe field (who woulda thought right?) I dont have any educational background in IT so sorry if i ask a lot of questions that seem basic. Everyday when my team comes in, we get "cycles" to watch, i watch 2 cycles, in the process of watching these we are checking to see if specific jobs have finished at set intervals (most of them are on "every 2 hours" marks) so i have to go out and check the same jobs everyday repeatedly. Currently i am going into CA7 and doing an ||LRLOG,JOB=ABCD1234,DATE=* || and it works...... but it also take s about 20 min to check the jobs and that's if i am on a roll with typing. What i want to do is see if i can write this all up in a REXX exec to go out and check these jobs at certain times, i am not sure if REXX can go out and touch CA7 but i figured it can go out and touch SAR so that might be an option. Again sorry if this is basic stuff but most of my team doesn't use REXX and doesn't have a whole lot of advice.
Aoxx

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:57 pm

what is Your skill level in REXX ?
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Aoxx » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Not the best, i have been self teaching for a couple days now. I can write some simple things but i am not good with reading the advanced stuff.
Aoxx

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:40 pm

unfortunately that' not enough!

did You check the CA 7 and the SAR manuals for the existence of a REXX interface
that' s the first thing to do.
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Aoxx » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:44 pm

We dont have manuals that are accessible as far as i know, I am the first person to start working here that didnt have a ton of experience in over 10 years. They dont really have a way to train me lol.
Aoxx

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:58 pm

We dont have manuals that are accessible as far as i know,

then, unfortunately, You are bound to fail miserably...
how can You expect to interact with a product if You do not have the manuals/documentation available ???
cheers
enrico
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Your shop uses CA-7 therefore we assume it is doing so legally. Furthermore if it is legal then the manuals are available somewhere in the place and if they are lost then they can be re-ordered. The rexx manuals can be linked to from the forum or googled for or just dive into www.ibm.com and start searching.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:07 pm

for the mother of all knowledge in the IBM manuals start from here
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/ ... index.html
cheers
enrico
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Aoxx » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:16 pm

yes, i work for a rather large company so they dont keep the manuals lying around, It is very "legal" for us to be using CA7 along with all other CA products as well as IBM, EMC, Hitachi, Oracle, STK, and what ever else we have down stairs. We are using 9 zEC12 boxes here with 3 identical sites running the same in other areas of the country along with 2 out of country back up sites. They dont really care to order me manuals for one of our third party programs. I have been advised by my whole team to not use REXX as they think it is useless and i should be using something else, therefor they are not encouraged to help me when i wanted to automate this duty. I will atempt to look up the CA-7 manuals online and see where i go but i did do searches through google for pass commands to SAR and CA7 with no luck.
Aoxx

Next

Return to CLIST & REXX