Activate REXX PDS

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

Activate REXX PDS

Postby ectgunner64 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:39 am

A former employee here created a REXX member (Zoom) that would open up a copylib member while editing a Cobol program and left behind the code along with how to "activate" (I think) the REXX PDS for use when editing the Cobol members. I have created the code in a REXX PDS and tried to "activate" that library but when I follow the instructions he gave, I get an error message saying "IKJ56500I COMMAND ZOOM NOT FOUND". Here are the 2 commands he said we needed to do on the ISPF Command Shell screen before being able to use the Zoom command while editing a Cobol program:

ALTLIB DEACTIVATE APPL(EXEC) press ENTER
ALTLIB ACTIVATE APPL(EXEC) DA(‘name-of-your-REXX-pds’) press ENTER

Is/Are there additional statements that I need to add to allow the "Zoom" member to be found in my PDS? (And yes it is there with the correct name.

Thanks
ectgunner64

Re: Activate REXX PDS

Postby willy jensen » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:28 pm

Check if you have a personal library in your SYSPROC or SYSEXEC concatenations and put the ZOOM program in there. If you don't then ask your friendly system programmer how to get one. While testing you can issue the ALTLIB command from ISPF option 6 (ISPF command shell).
willy jensen

Postby Pedro » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:55 pm

ALTLIB with APPL() is similar to a LIBDEF. You would use it in roughly the same places as the LIBDEF. It is only valid for that application. It is not activated it for the entire userid. For example, if you are in split screen and you issue ALTLIB from one side, you will not see the benefit on the other session.

You probably want ALTLIB USER() or ALTLIB SYSTEM()
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby ectgunner64 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:47 pm

Pedro, your reply about needing to be in the same session as when I executed the 2 ALTLIB commands was my problem. I was using split screen before and couldn't get this to work. When I do it in the same session, then it works. I think you said I could get it to work in split screen if I use the ALTLIB USER() command which is what I think I want. In other words, I want it to only be "active" for my userID. Since I am not a systems programmer, I will need help with that command as well if it will work the way I have described that I want it to work. I assume I will need some form of commands such as the following (although I'm sure these are not exactly correct):

ALTLIB DEACTIVATE USER(EXEC)
ALTLIB ACTIVATE USER(EXEC) DA('DEV012')

Could you make the corrections that I need for the above and I will then try to see if this would work better for me because I would like to be able to do this process in split screen mode?

These questions are probably very elementary to you but since I am a Cobol applications programmer and not a systems programmer or administrator, these commands are not something I use very often.

Thanks,

Larry
ectgunner64

Postby NicC » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:57 pm

I think, but cannot remember to be sure, that if you do your altlib before you split the screen it carries over so that both 'sides' have the activation. Try it and see.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Pedro » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:49 pm

I could not get the ALTLIB command to work the way I thought it worked! Please ignore my earlier recommendation.

I was able to get this to work using BPXWDYN:
/* rexx */                                                    
Address TSO                                                  
"ALLOC F(NEWEXEC) DSN(MY.EXEC.PDS) SHR"                      
Call BPXWDYN "CONCAT DDLIST(SYSPROC,NEWEXEC) PERMC MSG(WTP)"  

BPXWDYN is documented in "Using REXX and z/OS UNIX System Services", SA23-2283-01. Even though it is documented in a USS manual, it works anywhere in z/OS.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Return to CLIST & REXX