IKJ56644I NO VALID TSO USERID - MEMO failure

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

IKJ56644I NO VALID TSO USERID - MEMO failure

Postby nkulkarni » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:49 pm

Hi,

A JCL PROC (RETCDCHK) was added to some JOBs to identify if any of JOB/PROC steps of those JOBs produce un-acceptable RC.

According to RC produced by PROC (RETCDCHK) it worked fine, but I'm not getting why MEMO wasn't sent, even though the mail content was produced.

When one of JOB/PROC steps of JOBs produced un-acceptable RC, RC of RETCDCHK were as below

Table-1:
RETCDCHK ACTRCHK      01                              
RETCDCHK ACTRCHKX  FLUSH
RETCDCHK MAILSTP      00
RETCDCHK MAILSTPX  FLUSH

ACTRCHK     -> Executes PGM=IKJEFT1A to run a REXX program (AB@RCHKS) which writes output to temporary file TEMP1 [This does the maximum work and stores the RC details in required format in TEMP1 file]
ACTRCHKX   -> Conditionally executed if RC of ACTRCHK is not in ('0', '1'), this step force fails the JOB using PGM=UTKT [This step is to suppress JOB incase of first step failure]
MAILSTP      -> Conditionally executed if RC of ACTRCHK is 0 (Send MEMO (Output of REXX program) only on successful execution of first step using PGM=ICEGENER and SMTP)
MAILSTPX    -> Conditionally executed if RC of MAILSTP is not equal to '0', this step force fails the JOB using PGM=UTKT

As per table1, a MEMO has been generated and sent out but none received it...(!!!) I can see the HTML mail content in the SYSUT2 of MAILSTP in spool.

I found the message "IKJ56644I NO VALID TSO USERID, DEFAULT USER ATTRIBUTES USED" in the beginning of SYSUT2 of MAILSTP...

Could this failure be because of above mentioned message or anything else ?
NK
nkulkarni

Re: IKJ56644I NO VALID TSO USERID - MEMO failure

Postby prino » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:12 pm

nkulkarni wrote:A JCL PROC (RETCDCHK) was added to some JOBs to identify if any of JOB/PROC steps of those JOBs produce un-acceptable RC.

And you use a scheduler that's not able to perform such actions triggered by these unacceptable return codes?

Sheesh...
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy

These users thanked the author prino for the post:
nkulkarni (Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:49 pm)
prino

Postby Aki88 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:14 pm

Hello,

nkulkarni wrote:Table-1:
RETCDCHK ACTRCHK      01                              
RETCDCHK ACTRCHKX  FLUSH
RETCDCHK MAILSTP      00
RETCDCHK MAILSTPX  FLUSH

ACTRCHK     -> Executes PGM=IKJEFT1A to run a REXX program (AB@RCHKS) which writes output to temporary file TEMP1 [This does the maximum work and stores the RC details in required format in TEMP1 file]
ACTRCHKX   -> Conditionally executed if RC of ACTRCHK is not in ('0', '1'), this step force fails the JOB using PGM=UTKT [This step is to suppress JOB incase of first step failure]
MAILSTP      -> Conditionally executed if RC of ACTRCHK is 0 (Send MEMO (Output of REXX program) only on successful execution of first step using PGM=ICEGENER and SMTP)
MAILSTPX    -> Conditionally executed if RC of MAILSTP is not equal to '0', this step force fails the JOB using PGM=UTKT

As per table1, a MEMO has been generated and sent out but none received it...(!!!) I can see the HTML mail content in the SYSUT2 of MAILSTP in spool.

If MAILSTP is conditionally executed when RC of ACTRCHK is '0', then how come it ran even when RC of ACTRCHK was '01'; just a curious observation, correct me if I have it wrong.
Coming to email not going out, look at the SYSOUT of the SMTP instance that you have running, at your site. SMTP logs EZA* messages depending on whether it was able to complete the said actions; if it really is an issue with email-ing, you'll be able to find that out from this log. Afa email-REXX and other information is concerned, it is really difficult to provide any information without looking at the actual JCL/program which were performing the said actions.
Aki88

Postby nkulkarni » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:22 pm

Aki88 wrote:Hello,

nkulkarni wrote:Table-1:
RETCDCHK ACTRCHK      01                              
RETCDCHK ACTRCHKX  FLUSH
RETCDCHK MAILSTP      00
RETCDCHK MAILSTPX  FLUSH

If MAILSTP is conditionally executed when RC of ACTRCHK is '0', then how come it ran even when RC of ACTRCHK was '01'; just a curious observation, correct me if I have it wrong.
Coming to email not going out, look at the SYSOUT of the SMTP instance that you have running, at your site. SMTP logs EZA* messages depending on whether it was able to complete the said actions; if it really is an issue with email-ing, you'll be able to find that out from this log. Afa email-REXX and other information is concerned, it is really difficult to provide any information without looking at the actual JCL/program which were performing the said actions.

Hi Aki88,

Sorry I gave incorrect info, MAILSTP runs when ACTRCHK.RC = 1 so that's why it has run...

I could not find any EZA* messages, I'll keep looking....
NK
nkulkarni

Postby Aki88 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:24 pm

Hello,

nkulkarni wrote:I could not find any EZA* messages, I'll keep looking....

Look at the SMTP instance which is running at your site and not your email JCL.

These users thanked the author Aki88 for the post:
nkulkarni (Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:44 pm)
Aki88

Postby steve-myers » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:48 pm

Explanation: If RACF is installed, a background job will be run using the minimum default user attributes. Either the user ID was unidentifiable, or no user ID was specified as a JOB card parameter, or allocation of the user attributes data set (SYS1.UADS) failed.
This explanation from a TSO/E messages manual is not very good, but it is telling you one of two things.
  • The userid of a batch job attempting to run TSO in batch (programs IKJEFT..) is not authorized to use TSO, so it is using some sort of default TSO attributes that are typically stored with the TSO userid.
  • There was an error trying to retrieve the TSO attributes.

These users thanked the author steve-myers for the post:
nkulkarni (Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:44 pm)
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby nkulkarni » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:33 pm

steve-myers wrote:
Explanation: If RACF is installed, a background job will be run using the minimum default user attributes. Either the user ID was unidentifiable, or no user ID was specified as a JOB card parameter, or allocation of the user attributes data set (SYS1.UADS) failed.
This explanation from a TSO/E messages manual is not very good, but it is telling you one of two things.
  • The userid of a batch job attempting to run TSO in batch (programs IKJEFT..) is not authorized to use TSO, so it is using some sort of default TSO attributes that are typically stored with the TSO userid.
  • There was an error trying to retrieve the TSO attributes.

Thank you Steve. I went through explanation but wanted to get expert opinion....
NK
nkulkarni

Postby nkulkarni » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:49 pm

prino wrote:
nkulkarni wrote:A JCL PROC (RETCDCHK) was added to some JOBs to identify if any of JOB/PROC steps of those JOBs produce un-acceptable RC.

And you use a scheduler that's not able to perform such actions triggered by these unacceptable return codes?

Sheesh...

Hi Prino,

We use CA7 scheduler which is capable to handling the unacceptable RC at the cost of ABENDING the whole job where an operator intervention is required just to RESTART job from next step.

These JOBs need not be force-failed even when unacceptable RCs are produced BUT we wanted MEMO in that case, so we changed the way in which CA7 scheduler handles this by making a PROC to send us a MEMO If an unacceptable RC appears instead of force-fail / ABEND of the whole job.
NK
nkulkarni

Return to CLIST & REXX