How convert date to Julian date

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

How convert date to Julian date

Postby sngxd » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:15 am

How to convert a date like 01 jan 2016 to Julian date in rexx ?

Thanks
sngxd

Re: How convert date to Julian date

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:31 am

read the manual about the DATE function
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Re: How convert date to Julian date

Postby steve-myers » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:24 pm

There are two definitions of "Julian date" in common use:
  1. commonly used, though most would regard it as incorrect, where a date is expressed as Gregorian year / day of year. August 6, 2016 (today), for example, is 2016/219.
  2. the calendar adopted in (roughly) 45 BCE, with minor changes since then. This calendar is no longer used for civil purposes anywhere, but is used for liturgical purposes by some - not all - "Eastern orthodox" Christian religions. This calendar uses the same month names as the common Gregorian calendar, but is now 13 days out of step from the Gregorian calendar. Today is July 24, 2016 by the common Julian calendar. December 25 by the Julian calendar is now January 7 by the Gregorian calendar.
So which "Julian date" do you want?

The Rexx DATE function mentioned by Mr. Sorichetti will do the first conversion but not the second conversion. As Mr. Sorichetti says, if you want the first conversion, consult the Rexx manual yourself, but since you refuse to disclose which conversion you want, we cannot do your work for you (and no one here will do this for you).

Since there is little point in continuing this conversation, this topic will be "locked."
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to CLIST & REXX