what the difference between CLIST and REXX

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

what the difference between CLIST and REXX

Postby Pumpkin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:42 pm

hi,
i am new to Clist and Rexx,there are both command language, what is the main difference between them? and in the real word, when to choose using clist and when to choose using rexx, is more suitable?
thanks!
-------------------
Pumpkin
Pumpkin

Re: what the difference between CLIST and REXX

Postby MrSpock » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Now that both languages are included for no extra cost, in the real world there's really no logical reason to use CLIST instead of REXX.
MrSpock
Global moderator

Postby expat » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:45 pm

You could go for CLIST if you have masochistic tendencies :mrgreen:
expat

Postby mongan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:02 pm

I definitely prefer Rexx to Clist, but their is also an additional option, PIPE. PIPE is not as easy to read and use as Rexx (in my opinion, but I am byased, I have been using Rexx for years) and is much faster (unless you compile the Rexx).
mongan

Postby BillyBoyo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:07 am

CLIST was the original command language in TSO. Rexx, a little beauty of a language, appeared first in VM/CMS (which already had two other "old" command languages, EXEC and EXEC2).

No idea why, but REXX (Restructured Extended Executor) was a language which was interpreted by the VM System Product Interpreter. So, Rexx was the language, but not the official name of the interpreter. I could try some searches for more background information, but so could anyone else.

Rexx is available everywhere. CLIST, err.... no.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby Pumpkin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:40 pm

thanks
-------------------
Pumpkin
Pumpkin

Postby steve-myers » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:22 am

As Bilyboyo indicated, the original CLIST was an extremely limited capability in the original TSO for OS/360. It was improved to something close to its present form in OS/VS2 Release 1. Rexx was ported over from VM somewhat later, though I don't recall when it was done.

As other have said, there is some variant of Rexx in many other platforms, where CLIST is strictly a TSO language. It had a major place in the Amiga platform that many people remember fondly and the OS/2 platform. I believe there are implementations for Windoze, but since it must be added onto Windoze rather being integrated into the product, something Microsoft would probably loathe to do considering its OS/2 roots, I doubt it will ever get serious traction in the Windoze world. I believe there are Rexx implementations for UNIX/LINUX, but since it is not integrated, it is unlikely to achieve serious use in that environment. There are already pretty good scripting languages, like Perl, for UNIX/LINKUX; so it will be difficult for Rexx to push them asiude.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby ofer71 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Also, the fine manual contains some good materials.

O.
ofer71

Postby Pedro » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:11 am

I have not tried it recently, but it used to be that rexx was not able to issue the TSOLIB command, whereas CLIST could. The circumvention is to use the QUEUE instruction to queue the TSOLIB command to execute after the rexx program ends. TSOLIB is useful for environment setup during logon.

(my age is showing)
Also, there were some TSO commands like ACCOUNT and OPERATOR that worked better with CLIST. Maybe even the TSO TEST command was better with CLIST.

Though, if I understand it right:
RACF commands have superseded the ACCOUNT command.
And CONSOLE has superseded the OPERATOR command.
And I am pretty sure RDz is much better than TSO TEST.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:45 am

I believe there are implementations for Windoze, but since it must be added onto Windoze rather being integrated into the product, something Microsoft would probably loathe to do considering its OS/2 roots, I doubt it will ever get serious traction in the Windoze world. I believe there are Rexx implementations for UNIX/LINUX, but since it is not integrated, it is unlikely to achieve serious use in that environment. There are already pretty good scripting languages, like Perl, for UNIX/LINKUX; so it will be difficult for Rexx to push them asiude

open object REXX is a multi platform implementation of REXX according to the ANSI standard
see http://www.rexxla.org/rexxlang/standards/

available both 32 and 64 bits executables for all the platforms ( and if not binary available very easy to build )
WINDOWS with a powerful dialog manager ( taken from IBM object Rexx )
mac osx
linux various distributions
( I have quite a few scripts running without any modification in all abovesaid environments )
and can downloaded here
https://sourceforge.net/projects/oorexx/
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Next

Return to CLIST & REXX