Support for CLIST

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

Support for CLIST

Postby stinks13 » Sat May 31, 2008 1:58 am

We are being told that CLIST is going out and will not be supported by IBM in the future. Is there any truth to this? We are being told that all our CLISTs must be converted to REXX because of this. Can you please let me know if CLIST will continue to be supported?
stinks13

Re: Support for CLIST

Postby dick scherrer » Sat May 31, 2008 2:51 am

Hello,

We are being told that CLIST is going out and will not be supported by IBM in the future.
Who is doing the telling? For the most part, far more new work is done today with rexx than clist.

We are being told that all our CLISTs must be converted to REXX because of this.
Again, who is dong the telling? It may be that someone does not want to learn clists and/or prefers rexx. . .

Can you please let me know if CLIST will continue to be supported?
How do you define "supported"? If the product is "stabilized", no new features would be added. What you have should run for a long time.

Also, something to consider, when did you last contact IBM about a clist problem? I believe your only concern would be if your existing code stopped running. . .

Most CLIST work depends on ISPF functionality and as long as tso/ispf is used (no rumors of that going anywhere) what you have should work.

If you get official confirmation that there is a "drop dead" date after which CLISTs will not execute, i'd be very interested to hear of it.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to CLIST & REXX