ISFLOG Rexx

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

ISFLOG Rexx

Postby Viswanathchandru » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:37 am

Dear all,

I have a small snipet to capture the syslog using the sdsf rexx (ISFLOG) for 2 days ideally. The log content was around 8,00,000 lines. When i tried executing the script i met with error saying
 Error running SYSLOG1, line 17: Machine storage exhausted .

Can anyone throw some light on this. I believe this was because of the fact that my tso logon id had no enough memory allocated (4K). Apologize if I or my thoughts are wrong.

Regards,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Re: ISFLOG Rexx

Postby Akatsukami » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:41 am

Viswanathchandru wrote:Dear all,

I have a small snipet to capture the syslog using the sdsf rexx (ISFLOG) for 2 days ideally. The log content was around 8,00,000 lines. When i tried executing the script i met with error saying
 Error running SYSLOG1, line 17: Machine storage exhausted .

Can anyone throw some light on this. I believe this was because of the fact that my tso logon id had no enough memory allocated (4K). Apologize if I or my thoughts are wrong.

Regards,
Viswa

Presumably you are trying to suck the entire log into memory at once with "EXECIO * DISKR". Have you considered reading it a line at time using "EXECIO 1 DISKR" (or better yet, since EXECIO's performance is execrable, using a compiled language to do what you want)?
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby Viswanathchandru » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:04 am

Hello Akatsukami,

Thanks for your time! Yes, reading some 1000 records at a time and writing it will work i guess. But I can't understand this.

or better yet, since EXECIO's performance is execrable, using a compiled language to do what you want)?
. Thanks!!

Regards,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Postby Pedro » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:11 am

Issue PROFILE MSGID command, then run your rexx program. It should give you a message number that you can look up at LOOKAT.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby Akatsukami » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:32 am

Viswanathchandru wrote:Hello Akatsukami,

Thanks for your time! Yes, reading some 1000 records at a time and writing it will work i guess. But I can't understand this.

or better yet, since EXECIO's performance is execrable, using a compiled language to do what you want)?
. Thanks!!

You get wretched performance from EXECIO.

Write a Rexx script that reads a few crores of records from some data set. Write a COBOL or PL/I program that does the same. Use your shop's sort product to do likewise. Run all three in batch. You will find that the CPU time used (and probably elapsed time, although many external factors influence that) is much the highest in the Rexx script. The sort product wil almost certainly be lowest. The HLL program will be intermediate, although probably closer to the sort.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby Pedro » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:41 am

execrable

I learned a new word. :)
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Return to CLIST & REXX