But pls tel me how many records a VOLSER can hold n also the no.of records a file can hold on SYSDA.
Things that are needed to be known to answer this question:
1. What kind of VOLSER -- tape or disk?
2. If tape, what kind of tape -- 3490? 3590E? 3590J? Something else? is it compressed or not?
3. If disk, is is 3390 mod 3? mod 9? "mod 27"? "mod 54"? If not 3390, what is the device geometry?
4. Are the records fixed or variable length? How many bytes per record? How many records per block?
5. What are you calling "SYSDA"? Is this a physical device or VIO? If a physical device, see question number 3?
For example, unblocked fixed length 80-byte records on a 3390 allows 78 records per track which is 1170 records per cylinder and 3,901,950 on a mod 3 device (3335 cylinders). Blocked at 27920 bytes per block, you get 698 records per track, 10470 per cylinder and 34,917,450 records on a mod 3.