How to check MQ depth

Support for MQSeries and Websphere Message Oriented Middleware communication systems for z/OS

How to check MQ depth

Postby nikesh_rai » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi Friends,

I am very new to MQ. I was facing a issue and wanted to check the depth of MQ via CICS regions. is there any way/cics command to check MQ depth.
Thanks
Nikesh Rai
nikesh_rai

Re: How to check MQ depth

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:54 pm

MQ Series is a totally separate product offering from CICS. As such, there's no CICS commands to access MQ Series. You might be able to write a CICS program to interface to MQ and do your check, but whether or not that is possible depends upon the MQ API (which I know nothing about).

These users thanked the author Robert Sample for the post:
nikesh_rai (Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:49 pm)
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby nikesh_rai » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:38 pm

Thanks Robert,

I checked with CICS admin, and got same reply. However, I got a tool on mainframe panel.. MQSeries and I was able to check MQ depths belongs to a specific Queue manager.
Thanks
Nikesh Rai
nikesh_rai

Postby Aki88 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:18 am

Hello,

nikesh_rai wrote:...I checked with CICS admin, and got same reply. However, I got a tool on mainframe panel.. MQSeries and I was able to check MQ depths belongs to a specific Queue manager.

I haven't worked with MQ-Manager for a while so the information is a little foggy, but will give it a shot.
If you're looking for this solution in PROD, then pre-requisite is having access to MQ-Manager panels, most sites restrict this access; going by your last post, this is already sorted.
Once accesses are in place, then on MQ Manager browse panel (this is the primary panel that opens up), user can browse the Queue under a Queue Manager; it brings up a list of MQ. Pressing F11 here shows 'Queue Depth' on extreme right.

Few sites have tools such as Omegamon, user can use the MQ Monitor option of Omegamon and browse this information, pre-requisite being OMEGAMON access. Same applies for TMON, I have not used TMON so cannot attest to where the exact information is located, but I can assure you 'TMON for MQ' has this solution in place.

OR, you can always query the queue depth.

A quick google search returned the below JCL (which is presented here as-is) from another forum; see if this helps:

//ERTCTEST EXEC PGM=CSQUTIL,PARM='QMGR'                            
 //SYSPRINT  DD SYSOUT=*                                            
 //SYSIN     DD *                                                    
  COMMAND DDNAME(COMMANDS) FAILURE(STOP)                            
 //*                                                                
 //COMMANDS  DD *                                                    
   DISPLAY QSTATUS(QNAME) CMDSCOPE(QMGR) CURDEPTH
 /*

Lastly, if I understand it right, the queue depth is not in CICS region but the MQ manager. Reason for using the term CICS-MQ-queue-depth in general colloqui is because here the MQ manager (hence subsequently the queue) is connected to a certain CICS region, hence it is interpreted as being owned by the CICS, whereas CICS only interfaces to MQ.

These users thanked the author Aki88 for the post:
nikesh_rai (Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:48 pm)
Aki88

Postby nikesh_rai » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:48 pm

Hi Aki,

Thanks for the above information. It's really very useful and clarified some of my unasked doubts. :)
Thanks
Nikesh Rai
nikesh_rai

Return to WebSphere MQ