Space issue (ABEND S222)

Get solution for your ABEND Codes & System Error Messages, SQL Codes, File Status etc...

Space issue (ABEND S222)

Postby venkmangav » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi,

I have specified MAXIMUM space for output file(EXP) primary and secondary 1500 CYL, but I am getting space issue for output file ABEND S222. I cannot increase the space more than this, could anyone suggest me alternate way to solve this space abend. Thanks in advance.

//*******output file is used for validation contains input file records in formatted structure
//EXP      DD DSN=venkat.test.output,    
//            DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),                
//            UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(CYL,([b]1500,1500[/b]),RLSE),
//            DCB=(RECFM=VB,LRECL=,BLKSIZE=)
venkmangav

Re: Space issue(ABEND S222)

Postby Akatsukami » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:10 pm

No you're not; a S222 is a deliberate cancel by an operator or an automation package. Inquire of your shop's operations workgroup as to why your job was cancelled.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:38 pm

Akatsukami is correct. Most of the time you can deduce the reason the operator canceled your job by reviewing the JESMSGLG data set in your job's output. Did you do this?
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby venkmangav » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, i will change the TIME parameter and run the job :) :)
venkmangav

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:17 pm

Is there some reason -- such as an operator comment -- to indicate that you need to increase the TIME parameter? If not, your "fix" may not correct the problem. Furthermore, the TIME parameter may be controlled by the job class (some sites restrict the amount of CPU time a given job class can use), so changing the parameter value may have no impact at all upon your job.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:58 pm

Hello,

but I am getting space issue for output file ABEND S222.
Why is this believed to be due to space?

It is possible that there is not sufficient space and because of this the operator canceled the job.

Post your JCL and control statements from the step that failed along with any informational/diagnostic info generated by the problem step.

How much data is being worked with?
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:16 pm

Could you please explain why you think it is a space issue? Could you please explain why you think giving more time will resolve a space issue or stop the job from being cancelled by the operator (or a pseudo-operator). Neither of these make sense unless the space manager product that you have, if any, issues an operator cancel rather than letting the job abend with an *37 code. Changing the time parameter cannot affect either scenario. For example, the operator may have cancelled your job because he needed the initiator for priority work or your job was in the wrong class etc.

So...please explain.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Return to ABENDS & SQL Codes