system defined macros

Unicenter CA-Easytrieve Plus Report Generator: CA's information retrieval and data management tool

system defined macros

Postby Rod » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:37 pm

I am trying to use the DateConv system macro, none of our support staff use EasyTrieve and seem to have no idea of any macro libraries, I use JCL on a OS/2 system, I am sure when they installed/configured all this they defaulted everything, these are system macros and should be in a default library if I could just figure out how to point to it in my JCL. Would anyone have a clue as to what name/extension I could guess at to place in my JCL to find a default library.

I know user defined macros is better to just use includes than macros but this is a system macro. Thanks
Rod

Re: system defined macros

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:50 pm

Would anyone have a clue as to what name/extension I could guess at to place in my JCL to find a default library.
Since the installation process allows the high level qualifiers (HLQ) of the data set name to be specified by the site, any guesses provided will almost certainly not match what is used at your site.

I would look at the Easytrieve procedure expansion in your JCL to get the HLQ used at your site, then use ISPF 3.4 to browse the data set list for that HLQ. The system macro library is probably named with the same HLQ. You could also check the Easytrieve documentation to find out what the vendor documentation gives as the low level qualifier (i.e., last node) for the data set name -- this usually is not changed by the site installation group, so it is probably the same from site to site.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:53 pm

Hello,

Would anyone have a clue as to what name/extension I could guess at to place in my JCL to find a default library.
Suggest you look at an Easytrieve execution for a DDname of PANDD, PANLIB, PAN1, or something similar (this is configurable at installation and many places get creative). The same is true of the dataset name. A few places have a node of MACLIB for this, but most places i've been do not. Again, the need to be creative. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Rod » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:24 am

I have s steplib in jcl, //STEPLIB DD DSN=IDCSHR.EASYPLUS,DISP=SHR . have been searching for *.easy or *.ezt and am not finding anything, I found a few users with EZT datasets but none seem to use system macros like DateConv, some have their own written but I should not have to write this, it should be part of the install.

The main IT department is no help, can the install of easytrieve plus be done without unloading the system macros? very frustrating.
Rod

Postby dick scherrer » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:59 am

Hello,

With any luck, these macros are in a dataset that reflects the product. . . You might expand your dataset search to look for only EZ. . .

Most places i've been use a standard cataloged PROCedure for Easytrieve executions and people insert overrides for their particular datasets. Suggest you look in the general use PROClibs for such a proc. I've seen EZPLUS, EASYPLUS, EZTPLUS, EZT, and some others.

On one of my systems there is this hlq.EZPLUS.MACROLIB that contains DATECONV. . .

You might also look for datasets that have a node of CAIxxx as in CAILIB, CAIMAC, CAISRC. . .

In the install job look for the MACDDN specification (one such is MACDDN=PANDD) to learn which ddname you should use.

If Easytrieve still has a valid license on that system, you could possibly download the current macros from CA Support.

If you are not familiar with CBLCNVRT, it will convert a COBOL layout to an Easytrieve layout. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:04 pm

I use JCL on a OS/2 system

Really? How does that work then - I have only seen JCL on mainframes.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Return to CA-Easytrieve