JCK tool not working after z/OS upgradation

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

JCK tool not working after z/OS upgradation

Postby shivanshu26shiv » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:12 pm

At my site (production) after upgradation to z/OS 2.1, tool jcl check was not working giving below error,

ISPD212
Invalid PGM name
Link to 'CAZ1JCKM' failed, abend code = x'00000806'.

From manual:
ISPD212: An MVS LINK to the program named CAZ1JCKM has failed. The reason could be:
• The program was not found.
• The program was not authorized.

But the pgm is present in SYS1.JCH.LINKLIB as well as in CA.JCLCHECK.V7R1SP03.CAILIB, that may means ‘The program was not authorized’.
On doing isrddn, no jobs are accessing it but in dev region (where JCK is working) two jobs are are accessing it which are LLA and XCFAS,
further searching led me to info that these are subsystem jobs and after IPL we need to allocate/refresh dsn using SETPROG LNKLST ALLOCATE mvs command,
which may be absent in my upgradation.

So my questns are:
1. what is IPL.?
2. where we can enter MVS command.., in tso .? (since its Production, I know I can not use this cmd)
3. but if we use above, will it enable JCK because without JCK chances of JCL-ERROR abends persists.? (as TYPRUN=SCAN is not that feasible)

Kindly let me know if any other info required.
shivanshu26shiv

Re: JCK tool not working after z/OS upgradation

Postby BillyBoyo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:42 pm

Talk to your support. They should sort out problems like this. You have no possibility to take any of that remedial action, through authorisation.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby shivanshu26shiv » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:52 pm

Hi Bill, I talked... they told JCK will not be available now onwards...but I thought giving it a try by telling them my collected info.,
but please help to answer or any small info about below two...

1. what is IPL.?
2. where we can enter MVS command.., in tso .?
shivanshu26shiv

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:27 pm

they told JCK will not be available now onwards...

then You will have to live without it, no forum posts/replies will make it available FULL STOP
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:45 pm

An IPL is the mainframe equivalent of a PC reboot. It loads the operating system from scratch.
MVS commands are entered from a console. Few, if any, application programmers have the authority to issue console commands.

JCK is a third-party product. As such, it must be licensed for the particular system you are running on, and the license fees could range from a few hundred to many hundreds of thousands of US dollars (I have never priced JCK), depending upon many factors. If your site management has determined that they are not willing to pay the license fee for the product on the system you are using, then you need to learn to get along without the product. Attempting to use the product on an unlicensed LPAR could result in legal penalties for your organization, and hence lead to personal consequences up to and including termination of your employment.

These users thanked the author Robert Sample for the post:
shivanshu26shiv (Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:50 pm)
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby shivanshu26shiv » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:49 pm

Got it Robert, thanks for all the precious info :)
shivanshu26shiv

Postby Terry Heinze » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:24 pm

(I)nitial (P)rogram (L)oad.
.... Terry

These users thanked the author Terry Heinze for the post:
shivanshu26shiv (Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:44 am)
Terry Heinze

Postby shivanshu26shiv » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:13 pm

Hi Robert, I consulted with the team and client, they are ok as they are unaware of the JCK's not working plus JCK is freeware as per them.

Also I know if we want to run a job from LPAR-1 to LPAR-2, we can use /*XEQ NLPAR-2 to add XEQ route, so is there any way so that If I do JCK in LPAR-1, it gives the results from LPAR-2, considering all code, dsn etc present in LPAR-1 is same as LPAR-2 . As I am unable to find a suitable alternative (like TYPRUN=SCAN is not a feasible option) of JCK .
shivanshu26shiv

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:01 pm

If JCK is the CA-JCLCHECK product, it is DEFINITELY not "freeware". So either the JCK you are using is not CA-JCLCHECK, or your site support group is hopelessly confused -- CA products cost quite a bit generally. And your original post indicates pretty strongly that your site is running CA-JCLCHECK.

You have to run JCK on the LPAR on which the job is going to run if you want valid results. A JES3 system handles different LPARs as an entire system, but JES2 handles each LPAR as an independent system. JCK results on LPAR A may -- or may not -- be valid on LPAR B, depending upon the site configuration, shared DASD, shared tape drives, and so forth.

Going back to your original post:
But the pgm is present in SYS1.JCH.LINKLIB as well as in CA.JCLCHECK.V7R1SP03.CAILIB
This means nothing. You have to find out if either (or both) of these libraries are in the LINKLIST definition -- you can call ANYTHING "LINKLIB" but unless it is in the SYS1.PARMLIB member (PROGxx or LNKLSTxx or ...) then it is not in the LINKLIST. And these days there is usually a (different) PROGxx member with the APF authorization data sets in SYS1.PARMLIB. If you do not have update authority to SYS1.PARMLIB (and few, if any, application programmers would EVER have update authority to SYS1.PARMLIB), you need to work with your site support group to verify and change the members to support JCK.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby shivanshu26shiv » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:19 pm

Robert,

Thanks, I will enquire them again about free thing,

Also I have below line present in SYS1.PARMLIB(PROGL9) ,

LNKLST ADD NAME(LNKLST00) DSNAME(SYS1.JCH.LINKLIB) so is that means this lib is in LINKLIST definition ?

By the way other members like SYS1.PARMLIB(PROGA0) have below lines,

/* APF */
APF FORMAT(DYNAMIC)
APF ADD DSNAME(SYS1.CMDLIB) VOLUME(&SYSR2)
APF ADD DSNAME(SYS1.CSSLIB) VOLUME(&SYSR2)
APF ADD DSNAME(SYS1.DGTLLIB) VOLUME(&SYSR2)
-------
shivanshu26shiv

Next

Return to JCL