SPIN help

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

SPIN help

Postby multipass82 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:01 pm

Hello everyone, new member here looking for some help...

I have viewed these forums before and always found my answer but this time I am coming up empty. I have tried several things and nothing has solved my problem as of yet, hopefully one of you can help me out.

I have a running address space which generates a high number of lines into the spool, eventually hitting the line limit and abending with an S722 if left running long enough. The easy solution is to bounce it every once in a while to prevent this from happening, but I don't feel like an outage should be necessary, even a brief one.

I have tried every form of the SPIN command and parm in the job or with the startup to try and resolve this, but from what I can gather, the ddname containing all of the information i need to spin off is not spin-eligible. The obvious solution with the SPIN parm was to use SPIN=(UNALLOC,1M) for example to spin off every 1 million lines. But I have tested this and it will only spin the JESYSMSG and JESMSGLG ddnames. Is there a way to make my ddname spin-eligible?

I should also note, this is JES3.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
multipass82

Re: SPIN help

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:49 pm

Does your JES3 inish deck have THRESHLD specified on the OUTSERV statement or the SYSOUT statement for the output class?
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:18 pm

I rather doubt anything you do with SPIN will help. I don't know JES3; in JES2 what counts is total lines sent to any printer output class.

What you can do is max out the max print lines allowed. Try

//*MAIN LINES=(9999,W,50)

According to the JCL manual, the W parm means warning.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby multipass82 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:34 pm

Yes, looks like most classes and OUTSERV are set to -1.

The problem is we have a hard maximum set, I believe by our storage people, of 8 million lines. Regardless of what you code with LINES=. That is the limit I have hit a couple times, which not only creates a problem of the abend, but also trying to search for anything useful while it is still running. I would love to be able to have everything in there dump off every 24 hours or X number of lines.
multipass82

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:59 pm

Your support should take charge of the problem, and THEY should find the solution
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Return to JCL