Advise on JCL

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

Advise on JCL

Postby srrc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:00 pm

Dear Experts,

We are running 30 JCLS with same proc and only the symbolic to the proc changes.
The symbolic are passed via EXEC card. Symbolic passed are M01, M02,...M30.

please suggest an idea to optimize this.
srrc

Re: Advise on JCL

Postby Akatsukami » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:57 pm

Modify the JCL with some tool and submit it to the internal reader.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:11 pm

Assuming you already have 30 jobs each with the symbolic set for that specific job then there is no "optimisation".
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Aki88 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Hello,

IMHO, 'optimization' is a very subjective term, and carries a different meaning for everyone looking at the problem.

For instance, the programmer who coded the JCL in the shape it is today, would have done so thinking of a scenario wherein they might be able to submit all of these jobs in parallel (maybe) - an optimized solution according to them, because writing 30 JCLs with just 2 byte change for number (and the job name ofcourse), isn't a big headache. Various sites that run job-segmentation, use similar practices.

To maybe answer your query in a more defined manner, it'd be great if you can help us understand what YOU mean by optimization here; how you want the end result to look; and maybe then there can be more precise answers.
Aki88

Return to JCL