Easy way to send PDS of source code to another user via inte

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

Easy way to send PDS of source code to another user via inte

Postby mamustoe » Wed May 18, 2022 4:34 pm

Hi, can someone please provide an easy way to send a copy of a source code PDS to a recipient via the net? I don't wish to involve media like tape/CD/DVD, and am aware of the EBCDIC / ASCII issues. IEBCOPY could do an unload to a sequential file, but I'm concerned there are conversion issues when using internet (net) for the xfer.

Thanks in advance!
mamustoe

Re: Easy way to send PDS of source code to another user via

Postby sergeyken » Wed May 18, 2022 4:52 pm

One option is: using IEBPTPCH to PRINT or PUNCH the whole library in a printable full-text format, which can be easily transmitted with standard conversion EBCDIC<->ASCII.

The listing-like format from IEBPTPCH can be converted to a more acceptable format, with no page breaks, and no other unneeded lines - by using any available utility, like DFSORT/SYNCSORT or whatever else).

If your final destination were also mainframe, you could transfer the result of IEBCOPY unload in binary format as well.
Javas and Pythons come and go, but JCL and SORT stay forever.
sergeyken

Postby willy jensen » Wed May 18, 2022 10:14 pm

sergeyken raises a very important question, what platform is the recipient on?
If zos then do a TSO XMIT of the pds at the sender to create a transport dataset, and a TSO RECEIVE at the receiving end to build the target pds. The transmission out of and in to zos must of course be binary.
willy jensen

Postby mamustoe » Wed May 18, 2022 10:38 pm

Yes gents, platforms on both ends would be z/OS. I had forgotten about the TSO XMIT option until seeing it CBT.org site today. Assuming I used it to create a PS DSORG binary file on 1 host, are there caveats/concerns I should consider with respect as to how to FTP to the receiving end on the 2nd host? I don't know if it does, but am thinking the passage from 1 MVS host, via FTP, might Mess With/Alter the content if passing thru, for example, a PC based on ASCII. Any thoughts? Thanks
mamustoe

Postby willy jensen » Wed May 18, 2022 10:42 pm

as long as you use BINary for the FTP, you should be good.
willy jensen

Return to JCL