How to copy message from Mailbox to Dataset.

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

How to copy message from Mailbox to Dataset.

Postby mainframe_amit » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:35 pm

I am looking for some utility by which I can copy the message from my Mailbox to the dataset in Mainframe.

I know that we can send message from dataset in Mainframe system to the mailbox but I want the reverse of this process.

Please let me know if we can do this.
Let me know if I am not clear in my query.

Thanks & Regards,
Amit Goel
mainframe_amit

Re: How to copy message from Mailbox to Dataset.

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:53 am

Hello,

Save the message to a text file locally and then ftp that file to the mainframe.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby mainframe_amit » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:41 pm

Thanks for looking into my query.

I believe that I was not clear in my query. Let me repeat my query: Can we send the text of mail as soon as we receive it in our Mialbox Server to the MVS Server or Mainframe Evvironment in the dataset.

I know that we can send the message or mail from MVS Server to our Outlook Server by using SN07OM3 utility. But I want to perform the reverse of this.
Acually, my ultimate goal is to initiate a job in Mainframe on receiving a mail in my Mailbox Outlook.

I hope that I am clear in my query this time. If not, then please let me know.
Inconvenience is regretted.

Thanks & Regards,
Amit Goel
mainframe_amit

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:47 am

Hello,

Well, one way would be work with your desktop support people to write a "rule" using VBA (Visual Basic for Applications - iirc) or some "add-in" for Outlook that would cause the ftp of a file from the local system to the mainframe. It may depend on which version of the software you are using on your system. Also be aware that as Microsoft changes, your process might also need to be changed.

The mainframe scheduling system could be set up to submit "the job" when that file is received. Your scheduling people should be able to help set up the definition in the schedulng system.

I am not familiar with this utility - SN07OM3. You might talk with whoever supports this and ask if there is a companion utility that "goes the other way".
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to JCL