DELAY syntax in a JCL

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

DELAY syntax in a JCL

Postby ksatyana1 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:39 pm

Hi,
Could I get DELAY syntax in a JCL? Where to put this? Is in part of the JOB card / parm CARD? I have got the below information, but not really helpful, I want the exact delay statement in the JCL.

My findings follows,
Delayed Job Execution:

To run a job at a specific time or on a specific date, use the deadline parameter of the JES3 MAIN statement. For a complete discussion, see the BookManager Shelf Name IEA2B630 - z/OS V1R4.0 MVS JCL Reference. In order for the deadline parameter to produce the desired result, you must use it in class DELAY. Since this job class is longer than a single character, you must specify it on the MAIN statement. The following example will run a job at 11:00 p.m.:

//*MAIN CLASS=DELAY,DEADLINE=(2300,A)
The A following the time of day in the above example specifies the algorithm that JES3 is to use to try to schedule the job into execution. A is the only value that you can specify.

DELAY
How to make a JOB execute at a later time and date.

Kota
ksatyana1

Re: DELAY syntax in a JCL

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:40 pm

Hello ksatyana1 and welcome to the forums,

If you describe what your business/technical requirement is, we may be able to offer suggestions.

It sounds like you are attempting to embed scheduling n your batch job. Many organizations will not permit "delay"ing a batc job. It ties up resources unnecessarily. Another issue is that the delay may not be "long enough" and the process abends.

A good method to accomplish things like this is to use the scheduling software already in use on your system.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to JCL