Specified limit of recipient that can be sent in one batch

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

Specified limit of recipient that can be sent in one batch

Postby pahi » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi,

Could you please provide me the specified limit of the recipient that can be sent in one batch using IKJEFT01 utility?

Regards,
Pahi
pahi

Re: Specified limit of recipient that can be sent in one batch

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:51 pm

the question as posed does not make any sense....
IKJEFT01 does nothing on itself...
sits there, reading and writing to the tso terminal/screen and executing the commands entered by the user

read
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
on how to make the best out of Your asking questions
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby pahi » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:45 pm

I'm wanted to know when sending an email using JCL for max how many recipient we can send the mail at a time using jcl with out causing the server to be down & failure due to lagre volumes?
pahi

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:50 pm

This is one of those cases where you must -- absolutely must -- work with your site support group. There is an SMTP setting that controls the maximum number of emails that can be sent at one time, but the default value is zero (to allow as many as can be sent to go out). Dumping large numbers of emails (or one email to a large number of people) into the SMTP server can delay other emails for long periods of time. You don't want to do this without your site support group knowing about it. And if the SMTP setting has a value, only YOUR site support group will know what that value is -- since every site can set it to what they need.

We have an email application that sends out about 3,000 emails at one time towards the end of each month. This was delaying the usual production emails by six to twelve hours, causing issues with people expecting those emails. We wound up setting up a separate SMTP process just for this application to use so the usual emails could continue to go out at their regular time.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Anuj Dhawan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:24 pm

In SYS1.PARMLIB, member IKJTSOXX, and has seme value set-up for OUTLIM(n1) and that is subject to change foe every shop, As Robert has said. OUTLIM (n1) specifies the maximum number of records a user can transmit before the transmission is terminated. If n1 is less than or equal to 16777215, the system passes the value to JES as the OUTLIM value. If n1 is greater than 16777215, the system does not pass the value to JES. However, n1 still serves as the limit for the TRANSMIT command.

well, now you know it but keep this in mind:
This is one of those cases where you must -- absolutely must -- work with your site support group
Anuj
Anuj Dhawan

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Actually, Anuj, as far as I know, the OUTLIM does not apply to SMTP email transmittal. There's a byte limit set in the SMTP parameters for TCP/IP that controls how many bytes an email can be -- the default is 500,000 -- but OUTLIM is for TSO only.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:39 am

Hello,

I'm wanted to know when sending an email using JCL for max how many recipient we can send the mail at a time. . .
If you are contemplating sending this many e-mails, suggest you consider some alternative (or possibly set up a separate peocess to support this.

What do you intend to e-mail that should go to so many? I'd imagine that posting this to a web page that everyone can read would be far less overhead and maintenance.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to JCL