what is the minmum size of a dataset?

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

Postby deppquestcage » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:54 pm

should it be FB or VB?
Is there any other specification to be taken into account before creating a dataset with minimum size?
deppquestcage

Re: what is the minmum size of a dataset?

Postby Akatsukami » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:19 pm

Do you mean "What is the smallest amount of DASD or tape that can be allocated to a data set" or "What is the shortest LRECL that a data set can have"?
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:23 am

Akatsukami has it right. Do you mean amount of space, or do you mean a minimum length logical record?

You can allocate a data set with no tracks. Obviously you cannot store any data in such a data set, but you can allocate it.

The FB or VB issue depends on what you plan to put into the data set. Many programmers are uncomfortable using data sets with varying length records, but I've been doing this for close to 40 years so it's second nature to me.

One not so obvious issue might be what is the minimum block size? I would advise 18 bytes, which might also be advisable for a minimum logical record length. The reason for this is on magnetic tapes a record that is less than 18 bytes, and if it is read in error, the record would considered noise and simply discarded without attempting to reread the record or notifying your program. I don't know if this is still true with modern tape drives, but it was certainly true many years ago.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby deppquestcage » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:46 am

Thanks for your reply....
I meant minimum amount of space(dasd) that can be allocated to a single dataset?
deppquestcage

Postby steve-myers » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:12 am

deppquestcage wrote:Thanks for your reply....
I meant minimum amount of space(dasd) that can be allocated to a single dataset?
That's what I thought you meant yesterday. One track for a data set on older DASD, in the "track managed" space on volumed with "extended attributes," or 21 cylinders in the cylinder managed space of "extended attribute" volumes.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby deppquestcage » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:07 pm

Thank you very much for the information
deppquestcage

Return to JCL