Connecting MF to AS/400

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

Connecting MF to AS/400

Postby satmaar » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi,
Every day we need to manually go to the AS/400 and retrieve the data based on our condition.We are planning to automate this process to save considerable amount of time.Since i am new to AS/400,i am not sure if there is any option available to connect Mainframe to AS/400.Kindly let me know if you have any reference materials or suggestions.

Thanks in advance and advance new year wishes to all.

Regards,
Satmaar
satmaar

Re: Connecting MF to AS/400

Postby NicC » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:15 pm

Just stick it on your intranet. Ok, go see your network guys and see if it is alrerady connected and, if so, how to transfer files to and fro.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Re: Connecting MF to AS/400

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:11 pm

You have a lot of research to do -- and nobody on this forum can do it for you, since it is specific to your site. You need to find out who is responsible for the AS/400, then find out how the AS/400 is networked, then determine what type of processing you can do on the AS/400 to automate what you want automated. You may need to use FTP, you may be able to use a shared drive, you may have to use REXEC to start a process on the AS/400. Which will you need? Only somebody responsible for the AS/400 and working at your site can tell you which, if any, of these options could be used -- and which should be used.

Sometimes a forum can be a help, and sometimes it cannot. In your case, for what you want, there's no way a forum can provide you assistance. If you need more help than you're getting internally, you need to convince your management to hire a consultant to assist with the set up.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to JCL