control card

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

control card

Postby jvinoth » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:51 pm

Can anyone please tell me about the control card and use of it...and if can one small example for that..

Thanks in advance..
jvinoth

Re: control card

Postby expat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:00 pm

Control cards are specific to the program or utility being executed, and as you didn't tell us that information I think that this will be about the best answer you can expect at this time
expat

Postby jvinoth » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:50 pm

can you please give me example ..or some reference link to get if you can
jvinoth

Postby BillyBoyo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:22 pm

If you look at the DFSORT manuals, everything you supply on the //SYSIN DD * is a "control card".

If you look at an IBM utility, it is highly likely that you tell it what to do with a "control card". Like IDCAMS, IEBCOPY, IEWL, etc, etc.

They are called "cards" because originally they were thin pieces of stiff cardboard with holes punched in them to represent characters. They are called "control" because you use them to tell a program, that can understand its own control cards, exactly what you want done. Or what you think you want done :-)
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:07 pm

control card

why not use a bit of good sense ...

a control card is a <card> which contains data to <control>/<manage> some process. AMEN

it is silly to ask/give examples...
every program whose process can be <parametrized> will need the appropriate parameters
provided by , old time remiscence - when paper cards were used for input, properly coded control card[s]/statement[s]

nothing more nothing less
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Ed Goodman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:21 pm

The term "control card" just means a small file with parameters for given program. It's jargon.

In a lot of cases, they are stored in those special datasets that have multiple members. So in the JCL for a program, you will see something like:
//SYSIN DD DSN=WTSO.PROGRAM.PARM(MEMBER),DISP=SHR

The lines of data in the member are collectively called the "control cards".
Ed Goodman

Postby dick scherrer » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Hello,

Can anyone please tell me about the control card and use of it...
If you explain what caused the question to be asked, we may be able to offer more useful replies.

Nearly every utility program can make use of "cards" to "control" the current execution of the utility.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby jvinoth » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:31 pm

i am new to mainframe....one of my friends asked what is control card...I dont know answer for that so trying to learn what is that...thanks for all
jvinoth

Postby sethurajan79 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi !

I have two questions :

1 ) What exactly is called as JOB card ? Is the entire JCL called as Job card or the line that contains the job statement alone called as JOB card ?

2) Do we call the logical grouping of JCL into Job, Exec and DD as skeleton of JCL ? If not , what exactly is called as skeleton of JCL ?

Thanks
sethurajan79

Postby Akatsukami » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:15 pm

sethurajan79 wrote:Hi !

I have two questions :

1 ) What exactly is called as JOB card ? Is the entire JCL called as Job card or the line that contains the job statement alone called as JOB card ?

Neither; a job card can span many lines, but there must be at least one step in a job.
2) Do we call the logical grouping of JCL into Job, Exec and DD as skeleton of JCL ?

No.
If not , what exactly is called as skeleton of JCL ?

Nothing, SFAIK. A "skeleton" is a data set used by ISPF file tailoring. Whilst tailoring JCL is probably much the most likely instance, a skeleton need not have a single line in it that is intended to be JCL.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Next

Return to JCL