Find out job name and proc name based on datasets

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

Find out job name and proc name based on datasets

Postby viki » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:21 pm

Hello All,

I want to find out job name and proc name based on the dataset. I tried with the below command.But i'm not getting the expected result.(I mean job name and proc name).

LDSN,DSN=ABCD.XYZ,LIST=ALL
LCTLG,DSN=ABCD.XYZ

The above condition is applicable for flat file and also for vsam files. I want to findout this more than 50000 datasets.
Now i'm trying this with 3.14 option.That is more complex to find out.

Can we able to find the job name and proc name by using HLQ.

If anyone help me that will be more useful to complete my task. Please help me out on this.
viki

Re: Find out job name and proc name based on datasets

Postby mongan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:52 pm

I, and probably most of us here, have no idea what you are talking about. Your question is very vague and besides that very much site specific. Your naming conventions and regulations are only known in your shop.

What exactly do you want to do? Do you want to find where a dataset is used (in what jobs or procs) - then you can do a 3.14 search in your proclib or your jcl lib.
mongan

Postby halfteck » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:06 pm

If you are searching procedure libraries for dataset names, they would probably have part of that name as a variable / symbolic, so searching 3.14 for a full DSN would return very little.
halfteck

Postby BillyBoyo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Are you saying you have 50,000 dataset-names and you'd like to know which JOBs and which PROCs use which datasets?

If you tell us a lot more about what you are doing, I'm sure you'll get some suggestions.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby viki » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:39 pm

Hi BillyBoyo,

yes.You are right.Sorry for the confusion.In our shop we have a list of datasets where i would like to know which JOBs and PROCs use which datasets. I don't know the business requirement why they want all the details.But it is some what critical to find out the jobs and procs by giving the full dataset name or HLQ.

Hi Mongan/Halfteck,

3.14 is difficult to find all the datasets and also it will take more time to complete it. So please give some more idea to proceed.

So please provide a way to get all the details.

Thanks,
viki
viki

Postby steve-myers » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:07 pm

As Billyboyo, halfteck, mongan, and I'm sure others will say, your idea of scanning JCL is half baked, to say the least. Dataset names in JCL are often hidden in various ways, such as in procedures called from JCL and symbolic parameters. Just finding the JCL is enormously difficult! Dataset names are not always present in JCL in any event!

Your only viable option is to analyze SMF data. I grant this is difficult, but it is much less difficult and much more complete than trying to analyze JCL.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to JCL