Volume not available

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

Volume not available

Postby surime72 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi
i was trying to view GDG it showing error message as Volume not available
could you please know how we need to view the particular gdg
surime72

Re: Volume not available

Postby NicC » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:59 pm

Ask your storage people. They should know and the should be able to make it available if possible
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby pmartyn » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:49 am

Sure, no problem. If you are using an online tool just type in the 'goo' number as part of the dataset name. For example
your.file.name.G00000v01

If you treat the 'goo' number as part of the dataset name you will not have a problem with any method of access.
pmartyn

Postby BillyBoyo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:56 am

That's a nine-character LLQ you have there. Why "goo"? Why do you think there may be a "version" involved? Would G0000V00 ever exist?
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby pmartyn » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:06 am

there are always versions with GDG's. The 'goo' number is required when one wants to look at the specific version of the file. Try it, you will see that it works!

I already had this problem and that was the fix.
Last edited by pmartyn on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
pmartyn

Postby Akatsukami » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:07 am

surime72 wrote:Hi
i was trying to view GDG it showing error message as Volume not available
could you please know how we need to view the particular gdg

Presumably this is the short message. Repeat the action and press PF1 to display the long message.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:16 am

pmartyn, this statement
f you treat the 'goo' number as part of the dataset name you will not have a problem with any method of access.
is just plain WRONG. If the GDG generation is on tape, and the site does not allow a TSO user to access tape volumes -- which is many if not most of them -- then your recommendation will fail for anyone attempting to get information via TSO/ISPF option 3.4.

This is at least the second time today you have provided advice that is not right. Either learn to read the manual before posting answers, or get more experience before posting answers -- you are doing nobody any good by posting wrong answers.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby pmartyn » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:22 am

Slow down slim. You are correct I did not take the tape access into consideration. My presumption was that the GDG's were on disk. As for the technique I know it works. Sorry
pmartyn

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:09 am

Hello,

Slow down slim.
Surely Not your place to say . . . Once you have entered a few hundred vauable/correct/current replies and established yourself, you might be in a position to say something like thid to one of our most senior. . .

there are always versions with GDG's. The 'goo' number is required when one wants to look at the specific version of the file.
Well, there is always a "version" with a gdg but it is v00 for more than 99.9% of the gdgs on a normal system. Application datasets should never (or very rarely) specify a version other than v00. It is most likely you are referring to generations (the gnnnn part of the last node of the dataset).

We appreciate the effort of people to reply and help, but the replies need to be accurate, current, and impersonal.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:53 am

pmartyn: As Mr. Scherrer noted, you're new here, and possibly new to preparing comments on forums like this one. Perhaps you should just look for a few weeks, learn who writes reasonably intelligent posts, and who sends in reasonably intelligent queries. NicC has been providing valuable assistance for years; he is "senior" to me, for example, and I've been writing these posts for more than 10 years, here and elsewhere.

Sadly, surime72 is not noted for intelligent queries. For example, it does not seem likely this query even belongs in JCL; surime72 did not provide the "JCL" (if any), or the complete error message, including the message ID.

You, and all of us, for that matter, should be careful about guessing, I've had more than one case of foot in mouth disease from a bad guess, and I can't even guess how often I've written a long post - and then discarded it when I realized it was just another case of foot in mouth disease.

One more thing, don't tag on comments for "older" topics, such as this one. This one started February 12, and NiC's post directing surime72 to consult with his storage management people was the only quick response (and probably the only intelligent response that could be made), and then it went silent until you chimed in. It is unlikely the topic starter (TS is often used here) (surime72) is even interested any more.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to JCL