Creating a PDS and a singal user.

JES, JES2, JCL utilities, IDCAMS, Compile & Run JCLs, PROCs etc...

Creating a PDS and a singal user.

Postby blankets3 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:13 am

These seem pretty simple but i cant do it i tried reading the IBM red book and going to Google to try and get some help...

if someone can help me out, possibly even give me a example with notes so i can learn it better

Thanks.

Create a Partitioned Data Set (PDS) named "tester1.JCL.LIB"
Create a new member in the yourid.JCL.LIB.
the member must contain at least one line of text. The text must be added 'in-stream' from within the JCL that creates the member.
blankets3

Re: Creating a PDS and a singal user.

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:34 am

Hello and welcome to the forums,

Maybe not so simple. . . because . . . You cannot get the exact result you ask for - mainframe dataset names may not contain lower case letters.

This is a sample DD statement to create a partitioned dataset (PDS):
//ALOCPDS  EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
//DD2      DD DSNAME=TESTER1.JCL.LIB,DISP=(,CATLG),UNIT=xxxxx,
//            SPACE=(CYL,(10,,15))

The DD statement defines a new partitioned data set. The system allocates 10 cylinders to the data set, of which fifteen 256-byte records are for a directory.

To create a member in your new pds, you could use an IEBGENER step that has a SYSIN DD DUMMY, a SYSUT1 DD * (that contains the data you want copied into the member), and a SYSUT2 DD that names your new pds and the name you want for the new member TESTER1.JCL.LIB(NEWMEM).

Create your jcl and post back here if there are questions or problems.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby blankets3 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:59 am

Okay so what your telling me is that all thoes steps can be satisfied with just this ?

//ALOCPDS EXEC PTM=IEFBR14
//DD2 DD DSNAME=TESTER1.JCL.LIB,DISP=(,CATLG),UNIT=xxxxx,
// SPACE=(CYL,(10,,15))

or is that only to create the TESTER1.JCL.LIB

and im assuming i would have to change the xxxxx to the users id? correct?
blankets3

Postby blankets3 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:17 am

Sorry for last post don't quite know how to remove it so i guess everyone can see my stupidity.

what i meant was....the 1st step can be satisfied with that code ( i don't understand the UNIT=xxxxx, part tho)

//XXXXXXXW JOB  XXXXXXX,AAAA,CLASS=G,MSGCLASS=1,NOTIFY=&SYSUID[color=#FF0000] **not sure what goes in here **[/color]
// PGM=IEBGENER
//SYSIN DD DUMMY
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=X
//SYSUT1 DD DISP= ... ???
/SYSUT2 DD DISP=TESTER1.JCL.LIB.WILSONAM
blankets3

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:30 am

Hello,

Sorry for last post don't quite know how to remove it
Not to worry. The way the board is setup, members cannot edit their posts once submitted. There is a Preview capability so you can look at your post as the forum will see it before you click Submit.

i don't understand the UNIT=xxxxx, part tho
When creating a new dataset, you specify which unit type to use for the dataset. Some are SYSDA, 3390, DISK, CART, TAPE, etc). You would learn which UNIT= is proper for your system by your peers, your manager or the system support people. A partitioned dataset must be allocated on a direct access volume, not sequential media (like a tape).

Your requirement said the data to go into the member was to be "in stream". This would be a DD * with the data for the member in the following line(s).

TESTER1.JCL.LIB.WILSONAM
Member names are bound by () as i posted before.

I suggest you invest the time to understand the EXEC and DD staements. You might look at the JCL manual, but spending time with people already using the same system you use would be more helpful. A forum is not a way to learn jcl from scratch.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby blankets3 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:20 am

im in a very tight time constraint to figure it out that way i know online issnt the best but ...

what should i be putting in than to fufill the 2nd part?
blankets3

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:01 am

Hello,

im in a very tight time constraint
The tighter the time constraint, the more important it is to talk with people who are on the same system. They know the particulars of your system that we cannot. . . For example, someone on your system will have to tell you the rules for your JOB statement.

//ALOCPDS EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
//DD2 DD DSNAME=TESTER1.JCL.LIB,DISP=(,CATLG),UNIT= SYSDA,
// SPACE=(CYL,(10,,15))

//XXXXXXXW JOB XXXXXXX,AAAA,CLASS=G,MSGCLASS=1,NOTIFY=&SYSUID **not sure what goes in here **
// PGM=IEBGENER
//SYSIN DD DUMMY
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=X
/SYSUT2 DD DISP=TESTER1.JCL.LIB.(WILSONAM)

could you help me out? just a bit more? im understnading most of it but not the sysut1 i dont get what input i need to put for the input

Again, you need to use a DD * for SYSUT1. There will be no DSN, no DISP, etc. After the DD * (in the next line(s)) you key in the data you want copied into the new member. Earlier, i missed a major problem with your SYSUT2 DD. You have mixed the disposition keyword with the dataset name value. It should be DSN=TESTER1.JCL.LIB.(WILSONAM) and DISP=SHR.

When you have a question, it is best to continue in your topic. I almost missed your PM. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby blankets3 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:11 am

what should be in the sysut1 section? i dont understand? could u plz show me, i been looking over the JCL and i dont no what else im missing, if im missing ne thing... mind helping me finish it up? *** sorry for so late post internet went down... ***
blankets3

Postby blankets3 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:42 am

okay i looked and looked and finally i came to this conclusion

// PGM=IEBGENER
//SYSIN DD DUMMY
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=X
//SYSUT1 DD *
/SYSUT2 DD DISP=TESTER1.JCL.LIB.(WILSONAM)

is that it? that will fulfill 2 and 3? or am i still up in space? if not can you show me what it suppost to be so i can see where i have gone wrong?
(sry for using this forum as a scrap peace of paper, i keepotting down all my JCL and tryign to re figure it out. i cant talk to people on same system because they are not online or dont know themselves. i have fell into this face 1st so im pretty much at books and googles mercy.)
blankets3

Postby blankets3 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:02 am

PS.

// PGM=IEBGENER
//SYSIN DD DUMMY
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=X
//SYSUT1 DD *
//SYSUT2 DD DISP=TESTER1.JCL.LIB.(WILSONAM)
//SYSUDUMP DD SYSUT1=1

Do i need that system dump or not needed
blankets3

Next

Return to JCL