COBOL-DB2-CICS program

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

COBOL-DB2-CICS program

Postby archit23 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:17 pm

Can anyone help me in compiling and executing a COBOL-DB2 program which outputs the data on the CICS terminal? I just want to read a table stored in DB2 and display its rows on CICS terminal.
archit23

Re: COBOL-DB2-CICS program

Postby prino » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:21 pm

And where are you stuck?
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
prino

Postby NicC » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:47 pm

Use the procedures laid down by your organisation.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby archit23 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:12 pm

prino wrote:And where are you stuck?

Don't exactly know which procedure to use to compile it. Have previously used IGYWCL for simple COBOL programs and DFHZITCL for COBOL-CICS programs. Both now show that the "SQL compiler option was not in effect" in SDSF status.
archit23

Postby archit23 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:14 pm

NicC wrote:Use the procedures laid down by your organisation.

As a student, I am not completely informed of what all procedures we are allowed to use. But if you can let me know the procedures that I can use for compiling this program, I can check if they exist in the parent directories or not.
archit23

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:19 pm

As a student,

Your teacher, tutor, ..., call it any way You want, should have informed You about the basic procedures to be used for Your hands-on
we know absolutely nothing about Your environment-system setup so the only way is to ask somebody inside Your training institute
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby archit23 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:26 pm

enrico-sorichetti wrote:
As a student,

Your teacher, tutor, ..., call it any way You want, should have informed You about the basic procedures to be used for Your hands-on

Yes that's true. The problem is we are using a mainframe service provided by a third party to our college for educational purposes and I am not sure if the teachers here do exactly know what all it has to offer.

Plus our hands on sessions were only limited to compiling independent COBOL or COBOL-CICS programs. Procedures to be used were defined for them, namely IGYWCL and DFHZITCL. The project I am working on is an extension of our learning, so I have limited resources to consult.

I know that you don't have information about our environment, but if you can provide me the procedure names or steps which I can use to compile the program, it could be a great help in itself.
archit23

Postby Robert Sample » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:41 pm

I know that you don't have information about our environment, but if you can provide me the procedure names or steps which I can use to compile the program, it could be a great help in itself
What you have been told, and apparently are ignoring, is that we CANNOT provide you the procedure names or steps to compile your program. Sites are different and have different software installed and have different processes -- none of which we can help you with. For example, your site may use Endevor or Panvalet or Librarian or another source code library management system, which would impact your compile process.

If you've gotten to the point of getting compiler errors, then you don't really need our help. Just add SQL to your COBOL options to get rid of the compiler errors (there may be other errors that you need to address, of course).
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:34 pm

I am not sure if the teachers here do exactly know what all it has to offer.

unless Your teachers are completely idiots they should know and should also tell how to carry on the assignments they are giving You.
are You sure that the lecture notes that they certainly have given You do not contain such basic information

AT LEAST
the names of the libraries to use
the procedures for cobol program processing targeted at

batch
batch + DB2
cics
cics + DB2
- for cics programs the names to use for the BMS stuff )
- for DB2 programs the names of the packages and plans to be used :mrgreen:

I wonder about the quality of the education they are giving You
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Balr14 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:18 am

COBOL programs with DB2 must be processed through a pre-compiler and the output of that is input to your CICS-COBOL compiler. The precompiler will also create the DB2 DBRM file which must be used for the DB2 bind function that gives your program permission to connect to DB2. Depending on how your CICS environment is configured, you may have to make some provisions to perform the DB2 connect function.

If you were in an environment where DB2 is commonly used within CICS, the DB2 bind and connection logic are probably handled for you. There are a number of precompilers and combination compiler/precompiler products as well as 3 different methods for connecting to DB2. I suggest Googling COBOL precompiler for DB2 for starters.

These users thanked the author Balr14 for the post:
archit23 (Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:50 am)
Balr14

Next

Return to CICS