Cobol copybook renew in CICS

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

Cobol copybook renew in CICS

Postby latimeria » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi and sorry for the stupid question, I'm really new to mainframes :)

I'm supposed to apply a patch sent by vendors to my mainframe program. Patch consists of three Cobol modules and a copybook. In case of Cobol modules I compile them and do NEWCOPY in CICS then. In case of copybook, I compile it also and... what's next? Should I somehow renew it in CICS? How? I did google before asking but got nothing, so would appreciate any hint, link or keyword.

Thank you in advance.
There was an old person of Fife,
Who was greatly disgusted with life;
‎They sang him a ballad,
‎And fed him on salad,
Which cured that old person of Fife.
latimeria

Re: Cobol copybook renew in CICS

Postby NicC » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:54 pm

You do not compile the copybook unless it is a complete program. Copy books are, usually, simply snippets of source code that are copied into programs and the programs compiled. The copybook member simply stays in the copybook library for the application.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic

These users thanked the author NicC for the post:
latimeria (Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:50 pm)
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:18 pm

The compiles should refer to the new copybook so it will be incorporated into the load module.

These users thanked the author Robert Sample for the post:
latimeria (Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:49 pm)
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby latimeria » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:49 pm

NicC wrote:You do not compile the copybook unless it is a complete program. Copy books are, usually, simply snippets of source code that are copied into programs and the programs compiled. The copybook member simply stays in the copybook library for the application.

Robert Sample wrote:The compiles should refer to the new copybook so it will be incorporated into the load module.

Oh well, I'll try to describe it better maybe :)
I have, lets say, a file.
I have a line in vendor instruction: "Copy %file% to enviroment to PRECOPY and compile".
I have some homemade naming convention which made me believe it's a copybook, but maybe it's my mistake.
I compile it, then I go to CICS and try to do NEWCOPY, and says "%Program name% not found". Unlike the Cobol folder stuff, which is normally found there.
Is there something I should do to make this new thing work then? Whatever it is?
‎They sang him a ballad,
‎And fed him on salad,
latimeria

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:13 pm

You are interpreting vendor instructions, posting your interpretation here, and expecting us to diagnose whatever the issue is from that? This is not likely to ever work since the error could be in the vendor instructions, or your interpretation of the vendor instructions, or in how you posted here. For example, what on earth is "PRECOPY" -- you have not explained this at all!

I recommend you go to the vendor, explain precisely what you've done and the results you got, and follow what the vendor tells you to do. Vendors deal with all sorts of issues and hence are much more likely to be able to resolve your issue than a forum.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby latimeria » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:23 pm

Robert Sample wrote:I recommend you go to the vendor, explain precisely what you've done and the results you got, and follow what the vendor tells you to do. Vendors deal with all sorts of issues and hence are much more likely to be able to resolve your issue than a forum.

Ok, thank you.
‎They sang him a ballad,
‎And fed him on salad,
latimeria

Return to CICS