How to Display the error message in front end using CICS

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

How to Display the error message in front end using CICS

Postby uday123 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:01 am

Hi,

when ever my cobol - cics - db2 program finds error code 'NR52' it should display the the corresponding error message in front end screen. The error message is already stored in a variable.What is the procedure i need to follow ? Please advise . Thanks.
uday123

Re: How to Display the error message in front end using CICS

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:31 am

Hello,

What is your definition of "front end screen"?

Most cics/cobol applications use maps and some kind of 3270 terminal emulation.

The cobol code would move the error description to a predefined "message" field on the map.

Possibly there is something i misunderstand. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby uday123 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:59 pm

Ok , here is the description ..

BAsically a front end screen is nothing but where users look at their policy information..
When ever there is a failure code of NR52 in backend due to some reason , user wil not get required info on policy.. and at the same time they dont know why they dont get what they expect.. so i just want to display the error message related to this code when something fails and hits the NR52 error code in back end so that users exactly know what is happening.

Also please let me know if the below piece of code is relevant to what im talking above reg display message.

EXEC CICS WRITEQ TS
QUEUE(WS-PROGRAM-NAME)
FROM(TS-MESSAGE)
LENGTH(TS-MSG-LEN)
RESP(WS-RETURN-CD)
END-EXEC

Thanks
Uday
uday123

Postby dick scherrer » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:41 am

Hello,

BAsically a front end screen is but where users look at their policy information. . .
That would be your organization's site-specific meaning for "front end". Front end means other things for other organizations (and sometimes has multiple meanings in the same organization :) ).

It looks like you could change the mainframe code to handle a longer message (to contain both the id and the text), but this would most likely require a change to the presentation code (whatever the user sees).
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to CICS